Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
East Canyon 9/10
First, I never seem to do well at EC. On those occasions, I refer to it as "Eats Carrion" because of the skunk smell. Today, however, I'm calling it Steve Canyon, because today I caught a bunch of 'em. 

That ramp situation, however, about did me in. Having to hobble all the way to the top of the ramp so I could turn around and clamber down to the courtesy dock did a number on my leg and back issues. Gonna be a stiff and painful day tomorrow. 

Started off just before 8 and had the first smallie in the boat at 8:04. There was a bit of a chop and so I tied on a PopR. They liked it. The wind backed from south to northeast as the day went on, finally almost quitting altogether at noon. 

After the surface bite, they literally tore up a white Road Runner until the chenille and feathers came off. I replaced that with a 3" boottail minnow and they liked that even better. Ended up keeping two smallies for dinner, the larger one right at 15". 

Water was 65 at launch, creeping up to 67 at noon. I left shortly after a wake boat showed up to blast music and waves. 

Had a troller report catching a bunch of kokes, but had to release them all because they're closed now.

Edit to fix my typo in the title
(09-10-2024, 10:49 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: First, I never seem to do well at EC. On those occasions, I refer to it as "Eats Carrion" because of the skunk smell. Today, however, I'm calling it Steve Canyon, because today I caught a bunch of 'em. 

That ramp situation, however, about did me in. Having to hobble all the way to the top of the ramp so I could turn around and clamber down to the courtesy dock did a number on my leg and back issues. Gonna be a stiff and painful day tomorrow. 

Started off just before 8 and had the first smallie in the boat at 8:04. There was a bit of a chop and so I tied on a PopR. They liked it. The wind backed from south to northeast as the day went on, finally almost quitting altogether at noon. 

After the surface bite, they literally tore up a white Road Runner until the chenille and feathers came off. I replaced that with a 3" boottail minnow and they liked that even better. Ended up keeping two smallies for dinner, the larger one right at 15". 

Water was 65 at launch, creeping up to 67 at noon. I left shortly after a wake boat showed up to blast music and waves. 

Had a troller report catching a bunch of kokes, but had to release them all because they're closed now.

Sounds like a good day. Any trout today I am going on thursday to take the grand kids.
No trout.
(09-10-2024, 10:49 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: That ramp situation, however, about did me in. Having to hobble all the way to the top of the ramp so I could turn around and clamber down to the courtesy dock did a number on my leg and back issues. Gonna be a stiff and painful day tomorrow.
You need a young fishing buddy on call Rocky.  That way you eliminate that nasty late season long ramp walk.  It took me a while, but I finally found a really good fishing buddy.  She has no problems going to and from.  ?
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 82 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
You can't fool me, Bob. If you have her, why do you keep inviting me to go along with you? You're just trolling.
Have they put the wedge dock on the ramp yet?
(09-11-2024, 09:07 PM)petty4life Wrote: Have they put the wedge dock on the ramp yet?

When I fished there 3 weeks ago the wedge dock was up behind a building. There are courtesy docks on each side of the ramp but like Rocky said it was not an easy trek to go get your truck and trailer. Then after backing your truck and trailer in the water you have to walk back to the courtesy dock to get your boat and then reload. It is a heck of a lot easier if they have a wedge dock on the launch ramp. 

I've only fished EC once this year, so I don't know if they ever had a wedge dock in the water this year. 

I need the phone number of dubob's fishing partner.
I'm not actually sure what a wedge dock is, but there are only two docks in at present. One is about 25 yards west of the ramp, and the other is 50 yards east, where the ranger boat is moored. To get to the west one, you have to climb the length of the ramp and then go back down, because there are rocks and brush preventing you from a shorter route.

No sweat for you youngsters, but for this 77-yo, it was tough.
(09-11-2024, 09:48 PM)lovetofish Wrote: I need the phone number of dubob's fishing partner.
Sorry, its unlisted. Big Grin
Bob Hicks, from Utah
(09-11-2024, 09:48 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: I'm not actually sure what a wedge dock is, but there are only two docks in at present. One is about 25 yards west of the ramp, and the other is 50 yards east, where the ranger boat is moored. To get to the west one, you have to climb the length of the ramp and then go back down, because there are rocks and brush preventing you from a shorter route.

To my understanding a wedge dock is a dock that is in the middle of a wide launch ramp, or directly to the sides so you can basically tie up to the dock, fetch your trailer/truck and load up.   They put them out when traffic slows down enough that there won't be any loading/unloading conflicts.  Enen then I've been told: "Hurry up old man".
(09-12-2024, 04:46 PM)Gone Forever Wrote:
(09-11-2024, 09:48 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: I'm not actually sure what a wedge dock is, but there are only two docks in at present. One is about 25 yards west of the ramp, and the other is 50 yards east, where the ranger boat is moored. To get to the west one, you have to climb the length of the ramp and then go back down, because there are rocks and brush preventing you from a shorter route.

To my understanding a wedge dock is a dock that is in the middle of a wide launch ramp, or directly to the sides so you can basically tie up to the dock, fetch your trailer/truck and load up.   They put them out when traffic slows down enough that there won't be any loading/unloading conflicts.  Enen then I've been told: "Hurry up old man".
The 'wedge' docks are placed on the ramp and adjusted with the water level.  They are usually the first dock put out in the spring but also the first to be pulled out in the fall - or it appears to be that way to me.  The are NOT usually meant to be tied up to after you launch.  They should be used for easier egress to and from the boat and if you are solo you can get in the boat quicker and immediately move it to the curtesy docks off to one or both sides of the ramp.  Leaving your boat tied to the wedge dock just ties up that boat launch area and slows things way down for the others waiting to launch while you go park your vehicle and then wait some more while you walk a 1/4 mile back to the wedge dock.  Unfortunately, way too many folks don't understand these simple courtesy guidelines and think the wedge dock is there to make THEIR launch quick and easy.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
(09-10-2024, 10:49 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: First, I never seem to do well at EC. On those occasions, I refer to it as "Eats Carrion" because of the skunk smell. Today, however, I'm calling it Steve Canyon, because today I caught a bunch of 'em. 

Edit to fix my typo in the title

Sounds like a great day. I have a bunch of roadrunners but rarely use them. I'll have to keep that in mind for the future.
Bladed jigs are highly productive. There's not only the flash and sound of the blade, but the blade adds drag and keeps the jig up in the water column even with a slow retrieve. If you fish them on a bouyant line like mono or braid to mono, it's even more effective.

At EC, I tried a tube jig for a while but every retrieve came back with a ball of green slime. The bottom is paved with it. Switched to the road runner and never slimed up again. Came back with fish on them instead!

BTW, I could NOT remember the name of the plastic minnow I used when I wrote my report above. It was a 3" Ripple Shad.
(09-12-2024, 06:46 PM)dubob Wrote:

The 'wedge' docks are placed on the ramp and adjusted with the water level.  They are usually the first dock put out in the spring but also the first to be pulled out in the fall - or it appears to be that way to me.  The are NOT usually meant to be tied up to after you launch.  They should be used for easier egress to and from the boat and if you are solo you can get in the boat quicker and immediately move it to the curtesy docks off to one or both sides of the ramp.  Leaving your boat tied to the wedge dock just ties up that boat launch area and slows things way down for the others waiting to launch while you go park your vehicle and then wait some more while you walk a 1/4 mile back to the wedge dock.  Unfortunately, way too many folks don't understand these simple courtesy guidelines and think the wedge dock is there to make THEIR launch quick and easy.

What I thought a wedge dock was. This is at Rockport late season. Last time I was there 3 or so weeks ago they had an "F" dock off to one side. On those I pulled into one of the slots "F".
Google Maps
Here is another version.
Google Maps This is at Pineview early season.
Maybe sometimes I am old and, in the way, if they offered to help, I would accept it.

(09-12-2024, 06:46 PM)dubob Wrote:

What I thought a wedge dock was. It is taken at Rockport very late in the season. The last time I was there 3 or so weeks ago they had an "F" dock off to one side. On those I pulled into one of the slots of the "F".
Google Maps
Here is another version of one at Pineview off the side very early season.
Google Maps

Maybe sometimes I am old and, in the way, If they offered to help, I would accept it.
The wedge dock is the greatest invention ever for the boater that is along. It's a must.
(09-13-2024, 07:51 PM)doitall5000 Wrote: The wedge dock is the greatest invention ever for the boater that is along. It's a must.

The wedge dock at Jordanelle was pulled all summer. I noticed that after Labor Day they put it back in. That makes launching alone lots easier.
An Ulterra makes solo launching even easier.
They are awesome.
Don’t even have to get out of your truck to launch and the dumbfounded looks you get from the ‘Wakers’ is fantastic!
“Hey Mister, your boat is floating away?”.
Priceless.
Provided you remember to unlatch it and turn it on!

I use a 50-ft rope attached to boat and trailer. Slide the boat off with an abrupt stop, then creep forward up the ramp until the boat gently beaches itself on the ramp. I can then either use a different rope to guide the boat to a nearby ramp, or get in and motor off after parking my tow vehicle. I only do that if the ramp isn't busy, obviously.