Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ais and mussel paper display?
Week or so ago while retrieving the truck in the Renegade parking lot I noticed that mine was the only one with papers on the dash.  I would guess there were 20-25 outfits with boat trailers.
Did they change the rules so that these papers don't need to be displayed when we started paying the $20.00 separately?
The dashboard paper thing is sooooo stupid!
For the love of everything holy Utah just please issue a second 46 cent sticker that we can put on our trailer Tongues for parking lot enforcement already…… please?
It seems to be what part of the state you're fishing in.  

I've been checked three times this year in my tube and for my vehicle.  Maybe I look a little shifty or the CO was having a slow day and wanted someone to talk too. Big Grin
(09-29-2024, 02:52 PM)PACMEN Wrote: Did they change the rules so that these papers don't need to be displayed when we started paying the $20.00 separately?
Nope, they didn't change the rules.  Here is the instruction from the Utah STD of the Sea website:
Quote:When boating anywhere in Utah, make sure that a printed copy of your AIS vessel enrollment certification is displayed on the dash of your towing vehicle, and that you have a current-year Utah AIS decal affixed to your boat.

(09-29-2024, 05:16 PM)MrShane Wrote: The dashboard paper thing is sooooo stupid!
For the love of everything holy Utah just please issue a second 46 cent sticker that we can put on our trailer Tongues for parking lot enforcement already…… please?
I couldn't agree more Shane.  But unless the majority of the state's boat owners actively harangue their state elected officials and demand a change to require two decals be issued - one for the vessel (boat) and one for that vessels trailer - nada will be accomplished.   Angry
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 82 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
(09-29-2024, 02:52 PM)PACMEN Wrote: Week or so ago while retrieving the truck in the Renegade parking lot I noticed that mine was the only one with papers on the dash.  I would guess there were 20-25 outfits with boat trailers.
Did they change the rules so that these papers don't need to be displayed when we started paying the $20.00 separately?

No, they did not change the rule, but you have to remember, Strawberry is Federal and this rule, about displaying your AIS papers is a state rule. True, it is still a requirement but who is going to check them Undecided, how often do you ever see a state, fish and game guy at The Berry? Very rarely you might see one at the cleaning station, but it is very rare, and I doubt those guys ever check the tow vehicles to see if the AIS papers are on the dash. It has been said before, but it would be nice if Pineview and Strawberry were state parks, instead of being under federal control.
(09-29-2024, 05:16 PM)MrShane Wrote: The dashboard paper thing is sooooo stupid!

I agree I think we need to push the issue.
Gofish may have a point about location. I fished Jordanelle quite often this past summer. Though I was never personally checked as I got there before them, there is usually a DNR guy checking as you get to the launch, and also on the ramp as you retrieve. I have my papers on the dash where they could see so I figured they didn't need to come talk to me personally. On the other hand I have rarely seen a DNR guy at Deer Creek either at launch or retrieve.

Or just register the tow vehicle like the state parks pass does.
You simply list the plate numbers of the tow vehicles associated with that boat and when you enter the park or the ranger scans your plate in the parking lot, compliance is known instantly. Just like with our state parks pass.
They already record the vessel number and run it to see where you launched last and when.  They already have vessel information from passing the course that give them about the vessel, simply add the tow vehicle information.
This is all DMV now, not parks, it should be no problem at all as both the boat and tow vehicle are DMV registered.
(09-30-2024, 11:41 AM)Gone Forever Wrote:

You simply list the plate numbers of the tow vehicles associated with that boat and when you enter the park or the ranger scans your plate in the parking lot, compliance is known instantly. Just like with our state parks pass.
They already record the vessel number and run it to see where you launched last and when.  They already have vessel information from passing the course that give them about the vessel, simply add the tow vehicle information.
This is all DMV now, not parks, it should be no problem at all as both the boat and tow vehicle are DMV registered.
So you’re saying I should pay a yearly registration fee on my boat trailer which I don’t have to now because it’s single axle, but I should do it so my information is all in a computer. And then I don’t have to put a receipt on the dash? Sounds Like a ploy from the state to to pay an extra fee so I don’t have to be inconvenienced. I did send an email to the State saying that I would volunteer my time to stuff envelopes to send out an extra sticker and I got a one sentence nice reply saying thank you. The wheels on this bus move very slow. I imagine It will take at least another three years before they will issue two stickers.
[quote pid="1157581" dateline="1727704169"]
 The wheels on this bus move very slow. I imagine It will take at least another three years before they will issue two stickers.
[/quote]

Your a true optimist if you think they could simply put two sticker one for the boat and one for the trailer or truck in only
three years. This is the state that implemented the plan the first year with not even one stickers in their possession.
(09-30-2024, 01:49 PM)Redrebel Wrote:

So you’re saying I should pay a yearly registration fee on my boat trailer which I don’t have to now because it’s single axle, but I should do it so my information is all in a computer. And then I don’t have to put a receipt on the dash? Sounds Like a ploy from the state to to pay an extra fee so I don’t have to be inconvenienced. I did send an email to the State saying that I would volunteer my time to stuff envelopes to send out an extra sticker and I got a one sentence nice reply saying thank you. The wheels on this bus move very slow. I imagine It will take at least another three years before they will issue two stickers.

I don't know where you came up with the fantasy that I said any such thing.  Learn to read.  Do you know what a TOW vehicle is?  Is your trailer a tow vehicle?  Do you tow your boat with your trailer or a truck/SUV/Car?
The TOW vehicle is the vehicle doing the towing, same one that you don't want to put a piece of paper on the dashboard of.  If you have a state parks pass, and activated your app making your pass good for a full year you were also asked to give the license plate numbers of 3 vehicles that the pass could be used by.  So DMV already has all they need from you.
DMV is also running the Invasive sticker program that is on your boat.  So, they already have the tow vehicle, the boat registration numbers, and the invasive sticker.  All I am saying is to do as is already being done with the state parks pass and when you have finished the invasive course, paid your $20, registered what boats you have; you can also then, register your tow vehicle as you do your boats. Just bring it all together in one DMV database.
I don't know where you got paying a yearly registration fee on your boat trailer from.
(10-01-2024, 02:38 AM)Gone Forever Wrote:
(09-30-2024, 01:49 PM)Redrebel Wrote:

I don't know where you came up with the fantasy that I said any such thing.  Learn to read.  Do you know what a TOW vehicle is?  Is your trailer a tow vehicle?  Do you tow your boat with your trailer or a truck/SUV/Car?
The TOW vehicle is the vehicle doing the towing, same one that you don't want to put a piece of paper on the dashboard of.  If you have a state parks pass, and activated your app making your pass good for a full year you were also asked to give the license plate numbers of 3 vehicles that the pass could be used by.  So DMV already has all they need from you.
DMV is also running the Invasive sticker program that is on your boat.  So, they already have the tow vehicle, the boat registration numbers, and the invasive sticker.  All I am saying is to do as is already being done with the state parks pass and when you have finished the invasive course, paid your $20, registered what boats you have; you can also then, register your tow vehicle as you do your boats. Just bring it all together in one DMV database.
I don't know where you got paying a yearly registration fee on your boat trailer from.

My mistake
Great discussion. Being a new boat owner as of last Friday, didn’t know about the dashboard thing. Got questioned at the gate at Willard about it because I haven’t received my boat decal yet. She took my HIN and let me go in.
Just keep in mind that none of these requirements are designed for YOUR convenience, but for THEIRS.