Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Echo 9/30, 4 species day
I been off work hiking the mountains looking for deer with my muzzleloader. The gun just ended up being extra weight, as I never saw a buck, and can count on one hand the number of deer I saw overall. Very disappointing.  So I went fishing today instead of hunting up at Echo Reservior. Good choice! That carp ate my jig head while fishing for perch. What a fight!

Water had algae balls floating all over the lake from the surface all the way down to nearly 20 ft in places. But, the fish didn't care. All the trout were caught in the top 20 ft of water out in the middle, and the perch were hanging in 20 ft when I found them. At times the perch filled the screen from just under the boat all the way to the bottom. For a time they were stacked just under the boat and I could not get my jig head to drop more than 5 ft without a pickup.  I threw a lot back, but kept my fair share. Trout were nice with the big one going 20". A solo smallmouth hit a crank early in the morning.

[Image: 20240930-124829.jpg]

[Image: 20240930-135910.jpg]

[Image: 20240930-140055.jpg]

[Image: 20240930-150009.jpg]
Nice report and pics, good looking bows too. Good to know the catching is picking up. Any size to the perch, any over 10". How long was the SM bass.
(10-01-2024, 01:31 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Nice report and pics, good looking bows too. Good to know the catching is picking up. Any size to the perch, any over 10". How long was the SM bass.

Biggest perch were 9.5", the smallmouth was 12".
[Image: 20240930-194153.jpg]
(10-01-2024, 01:42 AM)Jig-fisher Wrote:
(10-01-2024, 01:31 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Nice report and pics, good looking bows too. Good to know the catching is picking up. Any size to the perch, any over 10". How long was the SM bass.

Biggest perch were 9.5", the smallmouth was 12".
[Image: 20240930-194153.jpg]

Nice. I can't say I've ever seen perch stacked that deep, except for Starvation but that was many years ago and we were ice fishing.
Echo has been treating my local student angler club very well also as of late. Even a few cats in thier mixed bag
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Great report on the fishing, sorry the deer were a bust, but looks like you more than made up for it... I'll bet that was a fun day... Thanks for the report... Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
What area of the lake were you seeing all of those perch stacked so deep? We are up there now but are mainly catching trout, not marking any big schools of perch
(10-07-2024, 04:11 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: What.area of the lake were you seeing all of those perch stacked so deep? We are up there now but are mainly catching trout, not marking any big schools of perch

Try the rocky points across the water on the road side.
(10-07-2024, 05:55 PM)doitall5000 Wrote:
(10-07-2024, 04:11 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: What.area of the lake were you seeing all of those perch stacked so deep? We are up there now but are mainly catching trout, not marking any big schools of perch

Try the rocky points across the water on the road side.

Tried that area, very few perchy type marks but lots of smaller trout there. The bigger trout are toward the back, up to 17" but no big schools of perch anywhere.
(10-07-2024, 04:11 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: What area of the lake were you seeing all of those perch stacked so deep? We are up there now but are mainly catching trout, not marking any big schools of perch

I'm sorry I didn't see this until now. Just busy at work. I caught them on the east side off the rocky point to the south of the boat ramp. The wind was blowing into that area at the time and they were in thick.
(10-08-2024, 01:21 AM)Jig-fisher Wrote:
(10-07-2024, 04:11 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: What area of the lake were you seeing all of those perch stacked so deep? We are up there now but are mainly catching trout, not marking any big schools of perch

I'm sorry I didn't see this until now. Just busy at work. I caught them on the east side off the rocky point to the south of the boat ramp. The wind was blowing into that area at the time and they were in thick.

No worries on the response. We tried that area also because that was where we found them when the water level was lower years ago, but no luck this time. As we side scanned the area, we saw a few small groups of what we assumed were perch but no big stacks of them. We I replied to this yesterday, we were searching but after covering that whole rocky South side, we finally gave up and just kept trolling for trout.