Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2016 DWR Willard Bay Report
[quote TubeDude][#0000FF]Most Utah waters do get periodic netting surveys. But Willard Bay is the only one for which there are detailed annual reports available to the public. A large part of that is due to the efforts of Chris Penne and other biologists who participate in the studies and then generate the reports. And Chris has been willing to provide me a copy when I ask, along with permission to share it on the board.

It helps that Chris is an avid and knowledgeable angler...and that he also spends a lot of time actually fishing on Willard. So his perspective is different than that of some other biologists who approach the studies strictly from the science end of things.

In truth, I have never fully explored the potential for getting similar reports on other Utah waters. I suspect there is something available. I have been fortunate in developing reciprocity relationships with several of the Utah DWR biologists and will assign myself to make contacts and try to find out what else might be available.

Otherwise, if you want to make your own queries, I have found that most DWR people are open and approachable...if you use proper channels and show proper respect. You can check the [url "https://wildlife.utah.gov/about-us/contact-us.html"]DWR Website[/url] (link) for lists of employees...with phone numbers and email addresses. I have always gotten phone messages returned and emails answered when I have specific questions.

[/#0000FF][/quote]

Thanks. I will reach out. I hoped I was just looking in the wrong spot. Those reports have great info to better understand the state of the fishery.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Yeah, looks like there will be good water in all our ponds this year. Stay in touch. I'd be happy to join you north or south. Just gotta see how the fishing develops and time the trips right.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[#0000FF]I have a couple of inquiries out. Will definitely post up any further info I can get.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I love that pond. I have great memories of going up and out for Cats with my grandpa and dad when I was just a wee little one. I am hoping to get up there more this year then I have in years past, to assist a few of the kitties with their transitions into free water fish sticks. My kids love them and I think it might be time to introduce my youngest to cat fishing.

I may actually have to register my boat and get the motor working. I am probably in the minority here but I would like to see a few more feet of snow in the mountains and then a nice slow warm up. in hopes of keeping many of our ponds as full as we can for as long as we can this year.

Happy Hooking
[signature]
So in your humble opinion and I respect it as one of the best fishers I have ever seen.what is your opinion on the channel being opened to the mass slaughter of fish,lots of wipers leave thre on in coolers.not to mention the eyes when they are on the spawn,fish biologists claim only ten percent live in the channell survive but I would think that's alot of fish any way u look at it.In my opinion the fishery has went down since they opened the channel,I think it should be closed year round thre is tons of shore line for the bank tangles to apply thre trade.
[signature]
[quote FatBiker]Favorite pattern is a white Chrystal Bugger tied on a 4 streamer hook with lead eyes. Use sharpie markers to give them either a blue or chartreuse back. Second is a midnight fire crystal bugger with a black tail and a purple hackle. As far as techniques, pound the rocks on the dike. Most time if I didn't get a fish by the fourth strip I'd pick it up and throw it six inches down the dike and do it again. Fished the west side a bunch out of a tube. Fish were caught on a floating line and a sink tip. Usually used the sink tip. Doesn't hurt to take a spinning rod with you and drag a three inch gulp minnow (black shad or chartruese). Smallmouth bass seemed to like a black wolly worm with a red tail pretty good several times. Hope this helps.

Larry[/quote]

Thanks for the info Larry!!!!!
[signature]
[#0000FF]Humble? Moi? Not so much.

I was vehemently against opening the channel to fishing during the spawn. There are only so many cookies in the cookie jar (Walleyes in Willard). And since the shad and wipers came along there ain't nearly the numbers or sizes there used to be. When you put all the cookies in a smaller cookie jar (the inlet)...and let the kids use snag hooks...a lot of those cookies are gonna get removed that would stay in the lake for others, otherwise.

Some of us have spent many years studying walleyes and enjoying every one we coaxed into hitting something we put in front of them. They don't come easy and you earn every one you get. Opening the channel when all the fish in the lake are stacked up in there...subject to "three-pronged dry flies"...is a slap in the face to dedicated wallieholics.

I never begrudge someone else catching walleyes, or even keeping a limit...if fairly caught after a good presentation with the right gear. But my blood boils when I see the "regulars" at the inlet casting their big Krokodile spoons with oversize trebles. Then when they drag a big egg-dripping female walleye in sideways, and put her on the stringer, they claim "I wasn't TRYING to snag it so it's legal."

Yeah, yeah, I know. SOME of the fish are caught in (or near) the mouth. Some actually DO yawn at the wrong time and get hooked in their open mouths. But if you wait long enough you will see the sun come up in the west too,. It could happen.

I respect DWR wanting to create more angling opportunities and to provide a shot at walleyes for folks that simply can't or won't fish for them in the "standard" ways during the spring and summer post spawn walleye feedup. But you don't see them allowing dimbulbs to shoot elk at the Hardware Ranch when they are being fed during the winter. Same thing as far as I am concerned.

And, as far as I'm concerned, the argument that there is little successful spawning in the channel anyway is not a valid argument. I don't fish for walleye fry. I fish for the big fish that escape the slaughter and then go on the feed a couple of months later. There has always been enough natural spawning and recruitment to maintain a decent population of walleyes. More so in the past. Now DWR has to plant walleyes to keep the population up. Hmmmm?

I am personal friends with quite a few folks at DWR. And I respect their educations in biology...and the efforts they put forth to keep tabs on species populations and ratios. But I'm afraid this is one area where I have to register a strong opposition to allowing the wholesale raping of walleyes...and wipers...at the inlet.

About the wipers. In previous years they have been primarily targets for folks who cast or troll lures...and who often release a lot of what they catch. During the past couple of years it has been publicized that wipers eat bait soaked on the bottom, just like catfish. So now a large contingent of happy harvesters removes even a greater number of wipers from the lake each year than those taken by the artificial lure crowd.

There are huge numbers of wipers taken home from the inlet in May and June...during the wiper "spawn". There are some wiper killers who return three or four times a day for another limit. And there are some who have "runners" who take their fish home so they can stay and keep raping them.

All that is just WRONG.

How's that for humble?
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[quote Trapper25]First of all I would like to thank Tube Dude and Wiperhunter2 for all they contribute to this site. The tips provided (to include maps) have helped me attempt to figure out Willard and the waters.
[/quote]

Thanks for the kind comment, although I'm not even close to the level that TD contributes, I do try and help out where I can. With the new high water levels, I'm sure we will see this year, all we need is a good shad spawn, to feed all those hungry months and just maybe it will be a decent year at Willard. Good luck out there this year.
[signature]
Just what I wanted to hear.my sentiments exactly but put forth with alot more intellect and wisdom.
[signature]
What can we do to either try and get the inlet closed to fishing during the spawns, and also assist LEO in enforcing the laws. Does this mean we need to pack a RAC meeting maybe try and get some of the other conservation groups on board like Back country Hunters and Anglers or the Walleye folks.

To bad many do not hold Walleye in the same regards as Lake trout, if they did it would of been closed a long time ago. IMHO Walleye tastes a hell of a lot better the a laker does.
[signature]
[quote Majja]

To bad many do not hold Walleye in the same regards as Lake trout, if they did it would of been closed a long time ago.

[/quote]

You apparently aren't aware of the snagging that takes place during the spawn of the lake trout at FG.
[signature]
[#0000ff]There has been plenty of opposition to opening the inlet to fishing/snagging during the walleye spawn. But the attitude of DWR has been "Our minds are made up. Don't confuse the issue with facts or public opinion."

On the plus side, more and more law-abiding anglers are putting pressure on the snaggers to release illegally hooked fish. But not without a lot of nastiness...and even a few physical reactions. DWR has tried putting plain clothes officers down there...and have issued citations. But the violations are a 24/7 thing during the spawn...and it is impossible to maintain "a presence" all the time.

I gave up on RAC meetings a long time ago. Even when a vote goes your way, any changes have to be made at the board meetings later. And the board still votes how the DWR people tell them to vote. It is not a democracy and it is not majority rule.

My favorite analogy of the bureaucracy and politics of the upper end of DWR is that it is like mating elephants. Everything goes on at a high level. There is a lot of noise and commotion. And it takes a long time to see any results.

That being said, Utah DWR is one of the most modern and progressive state fisheries management groups in the country. Most of the folks in the field are dedicated and serious about making our fisheries better and helping anglers get greater enjoyment from their fishing.

But, Sadly, there seems to be an "us against them" attitude at the top...management against rank and file. Some of their people hang in there and claw their way to upper level positions. Once there they will do anything to avoid making waves and jeopardizing their kingdoms until they are ready to retire. It sometimes seems like they would rather avoid making ANY decisions rather than risk making a bad one.

But we still got it pretty good. A glitch here and there is better than some of the alternatives.
[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I'll look forward to that. I'm sure we'll find a time or two.
[signature]