Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linclon Beach closure
Yeah it seems like there is less and less farm ground these days, it's true that there is still farming around, but up and down the Wasatch front the farm ground is really getting covered up with new growth...

I suspect the ag contribution to nitrates in the water is far less these days than it was in the 70's... and past years... A lot more conservative practices with waste water and higher costs of fertilizer, and better management practices, not to mention less acreage has had to result in less of a contribution on the farming side of the equation... although that is the common scape goat that the talking heads like to blame, I suspect true science would show it's not as big of culprit as it's blamed to be...

Talked to the Provo river commissioner over the weekend and he was telling me, that most of the ag ground on the lower Provo had turned their water rights into municipalities due to the land being covered with houses these days... and ya know farmers wouldn't give up water unless there wasn't any place to use it...

Guess my FFA indoctrination is showing, but as an industry we need to speak up for the truth when it helps reduce the bad reputation that we sometimes get. Sorry for the soap box... Later J
[signature]
So... fished Lincoln today with Catcarsen and introduced him to some of the career opportunities for criminals. No other boats there when we arrived at 5:30... three trailers in the parking lot when we returned. Not much sign of the green/blue goo as we left the channel and headed out to Bird Island. Fishing was good. We caught a bunch, three that were close to 27 inches.

I kinda expected a citation or a nasty warning note on my truck when we returned but not so. Still hoping the "closed" signs are for CYA only with no heavy-handed enforcement. I can't imagine the powers that be would remove the signs or notify the media when the water is no longer a 'health risk." My guess is the signs will still be there this winter.

Water level is dropping fast, less than 3 feet in the channel so gotta fish while we still have enough water to launch.

Anyway, I plan to continue my life of crime by fishing Lincoln as long as I can remain free.

Fish on.

BLK

Oh, the bottom picture... Catcarsen is the one on the right.
[signature]
[#0000FF]There used to be a goodly number of fruit orchards along the bottom edge of the mountains. But now mostly what they raise on that ground is kids. Some of the longtime family landowners are still trying to hang on...for the sake of keeping the agricultural land in the family. But between costs of farming and rising taxes it is tough.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Kids are messy but I don't think they should get the blame for the pollution.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I don't know, I've seen a few scouts that got a little toxic and watched a cloud of mud gather round them as you dunk them in the water at summer camp....

Hey what am I missing on fishing cats this time of year? I've been trying all the things we usually talk about and I'm really struggling to even find the mid 20's cats these days.... Wasn't long ago that I'd catch 27's most trips out and now a 24-25" is the best fish in over a month... I did have better luck in the dark hours, but I don't get a lot of opportunities that time of day.... Been trying lots of locations that are suspect for carrying fish and usually found one nice fish in each spot, but never anymore... Rough cattin for me this summer... Later J
[signature]
[#0000FF]I haven't fished your home waters enough to be able to render a knowledgeable assessment. All I can say is that every year is different...different water levels, temperatures, food supply movement, weather patterns, etc. And the fish move around within the system to find more favorable conditions of food, depth, temperatures, etc. As you have discovered, they ain't always where they were on the last trip...or under similar conditions in past years.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I'm guessing that their current activity levels are based upon just finishing with spawning and now searching for reliable food supplies. In a rising and falling water level situation that can change quickly. Also, water temps are rising and that effects both where the food is and where the cats are comfy.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Most years the bigger cats get more active after dark once the spawn is over and the water temps rise. That means that they will often just lie on the bottom of deeper spots during the day, but will cruise fairly shallow water after dark looking for newly hatched fish of all species and crawdads when they can find them. The tricky part in a big shallow water like Cutler/Bear River is knowing just where the daytime holding areas are and then the closest "grocery store" for after hours dining.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Ya gotta know the fish are there...somewhere...and they will hit...something. Anybody who could predict all of the above could make a good buck as a consultant. But then again, cataholics are usually cheap suckers and would probably just wanna work it out on their own.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I'm still trying to learn the rhythms of UL, particularly of the catfish. Where are they now? I've heard it postulated that when they are through spawning they go on a fast to rest up for the feeding frenzy to come. Any truth to that? I know that they don't all spawn at the same time, but are they pretty much done now?
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

[#0000FF]Walleyes seem to take a brief break in eating after spawning...but not cats. They are eating machines that eat before, during and after spawning.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Probably the single greatest truth in fishing is that "you cain't ketch 'em where they ain't." One week everybody fishing shallow water kills the cats. The next week fishing is poor in close, but bigger cats are being caught out in deeper water. No guarantees. Start fishing where you think the fish might be, but be ready to move shallower or deeper to find them.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Along with depth is the time of day factor. Smaller cats will continue to feed actively all day...and some larger ones too. But a lot of the older (wiser) fish avoid the heavy daytime water activity and warmer temps by feeding more at night. Some...not all.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]There may still be a few unspawned fish swimming around but most have handed in their catfish Tinder memberships until next year.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
When I still lived in the Bluegrass state I raised about 40,000 pounds of Burley tobacco as a side job. Farming hardly gives you a day off. There was a old tobacco farmer that won a major lottery. When asked what he was going to do with all that money; He replied that he would keep farming until it was all gone. Hopefully you will find some biggins soon.
[signature]
Thanks Pat,
I keep looking but I'm not doing much finding, makes me wonder if I'm just clocked wrong so when I zig, they are zagging and so the spots may be right, but my timing is off. I know there were good cats around before the spawn and I'm pretty sure they haven't caught and kept all of them. Maybe I better get in my toon and drag the minnows so I can cover more country. Problem is it really limits my range. I need a toon rack on my boat so I can take it to remoter areas. It doesn't tow very well. Maybe if I stripped the motor and went light weight it would work better.

Appreciate the tips and I'll try again and see what I can figure out. Going to be back to haying again soon so I need to get lucky and find them before I'm shut down again. Thanks J
[signature]
Man that sounds like a big side job, especially where that's a lot of hand work involved. Somehow that farming gets in your blood and it's hard to leave alone. Lot of satisfaction comes from producing a good crop. I like the clear start and finish of a farm task, I don't always get that at my day job.

Appreciate the well wish and best of luck to you, you have John nervous, those big cats are hard to come by and you have one that I expect you'll replace with something bigger soon. Good luck. J
[signature]
Okay, so I just read the article that you lead off with. Seems to be pretty good basic reporting. But if you look close it says the picture is a file photo. I think that means it was taken at another place and time and does not reflect actual conditions at this time. Fake news, anyone?
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

I think it is an old photo. Haven’t seen thing like that this year.
[signature]
Quote from the DWR Fishing Report:

"There is currently an algal bloom warning in place at Utah Lake. You can still fish in the lake, but avoid areas with scum."

I think that's a turrble way to refer to the "other people" who use the lake!
[signature]

Nicely played there. J
[signature]