Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Number of posts
I am assuming all those years, places, and type aircraft were while on active duty?
I started just a year after you. 73-75 Robins AFB B52 & KC135: 75-77 Beale AFB B52, KC135, SR71, U2, T38: 77-79 Pope AFB C130: 79-85 RAF Mildenhall EC, RC, KC135, C130, and RAF Victor Tankers with a few other NATO country aircraft tossed in once in a while: 85-86 Grissom AFB KC135, 86-93 Moody AFB F4E, F16. Retired 1993. Went to McClellan as LSI contractor to move workload here to Hill in 1999. Been at Hill now, same shop since 8 March 1999.
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
[quote Tin-Can]I am assuming all those years, places, and type aircraft were while on active duty?
[/quote]

My first 8yrs was active duty C5, C141, F4, F16. Starting with Mare Island Naval Shipyard was the start of my civilian career working for DOD. I transitioned out of McClellan due to closure.
[signature]
Way to go Gary, I feel the same way. Of course, I'm not on the Premium Board either.

Mike
[signature]
Thats how I got here. Retired at Moody in 93, LSI recruited me and 2 of the guys in my flight in 69th FS to go to McClellan in 99 and do the workload move to Hill. Then got picked up by CivServ in 2000. All my aircraft time was on active duty. Now I'm in a shop in EMXG. No more dealing with cold or hot flight lines [Wink] Got 1 year 3 months to retire again, for good.
[signature]

Cool
+2, I never joined the Premium Board. Life already has too many rules.
[signature]
[quote Tin-Can]OK here is a question about posts.
Do Private message to some one count as a post?[/quote]

No, PM's do not count, only post made on the forums, all forums.

Some members do not like posting on the open forums, that is one of the reasons the Premium(P) board was created. Since the rise of Facebook fishing forums, BFT has been in a decline, it's Sad we face losing this once great forum because we have so many lurkers that add nothing to this forum but view it daily but contribute nothing. That is one of the reason for the Premium board where member don't pay a thing but a little of their time in the form of making a few post to contribute to it. Everyone that wants access to the P board agrees to that rule before they can have access but then some members decide not to follow that rule when they find out we actually enforce a rule on that board. The P board isn't for everyone and that is fine but it does serve a purpose, even if not everyone agrees with it. BFT makes its money not by people viewing the post here but by people posting here. Advertisers pay to advertise here based on the number of post made and that number is way down. BFT is almost 20 years old now and it takes upkeep, in the form of tech folks fixing problems but it also takes coders to write new code when new things comes along, which happens more and more often now days. This entire reply was not directed at you Forest but members just needed to know what was going on and I think that was the reason this thread was started. One other thing, anyone that has lost access to the P board, for not posting can request access again after 1 years, if they have been posting on the Main Utah board(this board), during that time.
[signature]
Thanks. I know some have no use nor care but I for one can attest other social media sites have a lot of info including a lot from the state DNR/DWR that post on these other social media sites.

Sad but forums such as this one et al are and will see declining posts and are equivalent IMO to what happened to vinyl records, cassettes, 8-tracks, reel-to-reel, Casey Kasem top 100, Beta and VHS along with laser disks to watch movies along with military aircraft.

Yea it’s technology good or bad but memories.

So again question does secret site or now as you identified known as “P” forum also generate revenue for BFT like the open sites? D
[signature]
[quote k2muskie]
So again question does “P” forum also generate revenue for BFT like the open sites? D[/quote]
Yes it does, as I said, all post, no matter what the board is called, generate revenue. This is why in recent years we have allowed threads like this to remain on the main board, instead of it being moved to another board, like the Off topic board, there just isn't enough post any more. It will be moved to the proper board once it slips to the second page but we let them go now to generate replies, Sad it has come to this but that is just the way things go. That is also why we have added many boards on BFT over the years, like R & R board, the beginners board and the ladies board, none of those, for the most part have succeeded.
[signature]
On that note you can be certain folks have either left BFT or use it less due to the manufactured "rules". For instance other sites and FB pages folks continue to exercise their freedom of speech and can ask simple questions like "where were you fishing". Here on BFT along with the PB members cannot ask various questions or they to will suffer the wrath....lol...so when you consider BFT is financed partially by members posting you can bet your @$$ it has plenty to do with their dislike for Tyranny.
[signature]
I have been a member of BFT for 10+ years now. I'm active with a couple of other forums but do see the decline in activity. One would think with all my years as a member my post count should be a lot higher, I was a lurker but a legal registered lurker. More recently I have become more active here contributing little things. With the separate state forum selection here Utah is one of the most active with members if not the most. I came to the conclusion 3yrs ago I do not like Facebook therefore I deactivated my account. I was hacked there twice in a 4mo period which prompted me to shut it down. Also with all of the political garbage I was getting fed up with propaganda. The one pro with Facebook was I got to see what other family members were doing outside my intermediate family that's scattered throughout our country. Now I had to make that sacrifice.
If I could change one thing here on BFT it would be to either add more Emoticons to the ones already in place or change out the existing ones for new.
[signature]
[quote][This entire reply was not directed at you Forest but members just needed to know what was going on and I think that was the reason this thread was started. One other thing, anyone that has lost access to the P board, for not posting can request access again after 1 years, if they have been posting on the Main Utah board(this board), during that time. /quote]

Curt, I have no problem with that and I figured you covered several possible questions along with mine. I understand the rules for the PB, and I would have stayed on it. But at the time I was going thru some tense family issues and like I said, I don't fish in the winter, so I really don't have much to contribute for several months each year. I figure with the various Flotillas each year, the Cat Contest, The Veterans Fishing Day at Soldier Creek, and maybe some upcoming public service gatherings at UL, I can post my fair share or more between about March and November.
I have met several fellas on this forum that I enjoy communicating with and sharing a section of river bank with. Posts I read that I don't agree with, I just ignore.
[signature]

Cool
I'm one of the many that jumped over to this board when the previously popular utah fishing message board was dying 16 years ago. I don't remember the name of it anymore, but i seem to remember the biggest problem was trolls and idiots treating each other like crap.
While some don't like boards being moderated, the lack of moderation is much worse. The useful information gets lost in the garbage and eventually nobody will visit the site anymore.
Look at all the garbage on the utah fishing groups on Facebook. It's very hard to find a useful post. Too many fake reports or fake tips, and every report of success is met with someone pointing out something they did wrong instead of celebrating with them.
"You are holding it wrong" "you should have released it" "you should have kept it" "why did you post about my favorite spot" etc, etc.
While those same things happen here, and are often valid points, it gets way too negative and is frankly tiring seeing the posts on Facebook.
I far prefer here where it is controlled and there are also organized boards for specific topics. It's also easier to find a thread on a topic rather than scrolling through tons of posts to find a tidbit of useful info.
Keep this site running!!
[signature]
Thanks for your kind comments. Almost all of our first members came from the site you are talking about. The first moderator on the BFT Utah board, Predator, he came from there as well, I believe but saw the disaster that was going on there and started looking for another forum to go to, he found this one and it was new at the time. He recruited many of us from the forum, kentofnsl and I were the first two to join, that was back in Feb of 2002. Predator started making some rules to fix some of the issues he saw on that other forum that members hated, just as you have mentioned. They have been expanded on since then, including the rule we call "Hot Spotting", where members are not allowed to ask other members where they caught fish, unless the OP post the location. This rule was put in place at the request of members, that were being harassed by other members to tell where they were fishing. BFT isn't perfect but we try our best to meet the needs of our members, do all members always get their way, no but we try to balance the needs of our members with the overall goals that will make the site a success. This site has always had ups and downs that are seasonal, they usually occur between the end of ice fishing and the beginning of open water season, like right now. The second period of slow down occurs in the Fall, at the end of our open water season and before ice is safe to fish. Hunting season occurs about this time and since a lot of our members hunt as well, that Fall slow down usually starts about that time. I hope over time that more members will agree with you and will come back from FB but only time will tell on that.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]This is just one man's opinion - social media (fb, twitter, instagram, pintarest, etc.) SUCK. Been there, done that, won't do it again. If it works for you, I'm happy for you. It does NOT work for me. I find moderated chat forums much more useful and interesting. The decline in their use is very evident and that Saddens me. I hope they last longer than I will. And I NEVER make a post to make my post count increase. Tight lines to all y'all. [Smile]
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[fishin]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3][/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Could not agree with you more, that is why I don't do any of them, I've never been there or done that, because it just does not interested me. Years ago BFT and a few other fishing websites did catch my attention but that was as far as I wanted to go.
[signature]
I like TubeDude's posts because they're my favorite color [angelic]
[signature]
[#0000FF]Hey girl, good to see ya on the board again. Hope you wintered well. I know you weren't out ice fishing all the time. Me too neither.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Glad you like my (color) posts. So I won't change to sea green pink.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Girl? What happened to "brat"? LOL

Oh, I stayed snuggled up in bed with my kitties... the furry four legged kind [Tongue]
But I'm planning to go enjoy outside soon!
[signature]
[#0000FF]To me, you will always be the "bratty kid" who showed up at that BFT floatilla at Lincoln Beach about 10 years ago. But for the sake of our long friendship and our mutual "aging", we can drop the term brat. On the other hand, "girl" seems to be okay to apply even to ladies of "advancing age". I know. I'm married to one.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Oh, okay.
I'm only growing older, but I'd rather not grow up [Tongue]

Anyhoo, if I get out to Jordan River this year, maybe I can start making some reports too! Unless it's like the city ponds, and nobody really cares...
[signature]