Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Echo 2-21-04
Went to Echo today with my friend and his kids. There must have been some spill over from the perch party because there were quite a few people there. Fished from 11 till 5. Fishing was slow for us until we finally found a good spot after drilling a bunch of holes and moving several times. Caught 60-70 perch mostly small and 1 decent rainbow. The highlight (or lowlight) of the day was when I hooked into something big and when I saw the gold color through the hole I thought I had finally caught a big Brown or the world record Perch but to my surprise and disappointment it was a 4-5 lb Carp! Overall it was a nice day out on the ice.

FM
[signature]
Why would the 4-5lb carp be a dissappointment. He gave you a good fight dinn't he? I have never eaten one but I have read and heard they were good eating.
[signature]
Well yes it was fun to catch. I was just hoping for the big Brown that I know is waiting for me up there. I don't have anything against Carp in general I've even fished for them on occasion but I've never eaten one. Has anyone else on here eaten one?

FM
[signature]
I too have fished for them in the past. They put up quite the fight, but I wouldn't eat one if you paid me! Nasty bottom sucking trash fish!
[signature]
That sure would have been fun. I doubt I could have landed the thing with my perch rod (Blue Lightning). As for eating, I have, but only overseas and I did not catch it or cook it. I Would have fillet it right up as bait and cured some up for bait fot later in the year.
[signature]
I didn't even think about that. I'll have to remember that next time I catch one.

My favorite ice rod is graphite with enough give to make it fun for Perch but with enough backbone to bring up larger trout (or Carp!). I also like fishing with my "Perch Noodle" and have even caught trout on it (very fun) but most of the time I like the stiffer graphite so I can feel the bites rather than just watching the tip of the rod.

FM
[signature]