Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Crappie Condos
Crappie need structure, not only to spawn, but to hide from predators. Willard is wofordly lacking for structure. Like many have said "it is a bathtub". Many states have been experiencing the same problem. Some have allowed groups to create manmade habitat using PVC of various shapes and sizes. I believe that Willard could benefit from this same idea. YouTube has numerous DIY designs. If we could get the DWR blessings on a few of the designs, I am willing to bet that many members of this forum would volunteer time and financial assistance for the project. Many of us probably have a lot of the parts laying around our homes.

I would suggest putting some in a shallow designated "No-boating area", maybe out from pelican beach, and others out in deeper waters. I know that they have dumped piles of rocks out West of the south marina, but rock piles just don't cut it, and in 20 feet of water, I don't think that it helps with the spawn. The PVC condos would not cause a lot of snags like Christmas trees ( which only lasts a couple years anyway).

So I ask fellow members: Is this a plausible idea?
Here is a YouTube idea that I think would be easy and inexpensive.
This could be a great Boy Scout project to get added help in building them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7RSH555tZc
[signature]
Good fishing to all.   Hue
If DWR gives blessing, I am in, I would donate money, time etc.. I like crappie fishing.
[signature]
I think the DWR put similar things in rockport for perch this year.
[signature]
Glad to hear that. I hope others chime in as well.
Thanks Hue
[signature]
That's good news. If they are already open to the use of them, with a little assistance from volunteers and aid, they would most likely be ok with the idea or parts there of.
[signature]
https://youtu.be/c8e0aj_VR60
[signature]
Good on them for trying, but couldn't there be results from other states do determine their usefulness? Their habitat does look good. Waiting 2 years to study them bums me though.
[signature]
I'll happily support the effort. Willing to donate time and/or material.
[signature]
[quote BURLEY]Waiting 2 years to study them bums me though.[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]Why?[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."