Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New boat and Lincoln Beach
Congrats Craig! Hopefully you get some fish goo in it soon. Maybe not as much as BLK's though
[signature]
One of the bonus features about the boat is that it came with an extra prop, new in the box. And my friends have taken me out enough that I know where the rocks tend to sneak up on ya. I'll be careful.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Always better to be seen than to be viewed.

Or as I cautioned back during thin ice season: We'd rather hear from you than about you. Thanks for the words of wisdom.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Thanks for the good advice, Forest. About the sonars: I have one by the wheel and one on the bow; the bad news is that they are like my cell phone, old low tech. I can't find where either is capable of showing speed which is essential for trolling. I didn't want to have to buy anything else (won't make my financial manager happy). Tomorrow I will post the models on the Boats forum and maybe someone will know how to get speed on one of them. The former owner was a bass fisherman so I don't think he cared about boat speed too much.
[signature]

Yeah, a guy told me last year that b o a t stood for Bring Out Another Thousand. I thought it was funny then but might not so much now.
[signature]

have you not heard about some of my blunders?

All I know is that you tried to teach your outfit to fly. That Bernoulli Effect really sucks, doesn't it [Wink]. If I got that all wrong, apologies.
[signature]

Thanks again, Forest, for the good advice. Some of those things were good reminders while others I had not even thought about. I know that a lot of the boating experience has nothing to do with being on the water. The boat has really been well taken care of and I am a little afraid to get any slimy old fish in there. In fact there are white bass scales on the floor now and a spot on the carpet where I accidentally stepped on a piece of cut bait. Oh, well.
[signature]

8 or 16? kicker

Actually it's a 6 hp.

I don't know much about the I-Pilot but I know a lot of you have it. More for me to learn. Scary to think of all the items I just can't do without.
[signature]

[quote catchinon]

...Forest. About the sonars: I have one by the wheel and one on the bow; the bad news is that they are like my cell phone, old low tech. I can't find where either is capable of showing speed which is essential for trolling.

[/quote]

If they don't have GPS they will at best have a mechanical wheel that spins to tell speed. These mechanical devices are notoriously inaccurate. For years, I have used a handheld GPS to mark my way points for fishing. Marking way points is extremely helpful; especially, if you plan on doing anything other than trolling (even then way points can be helpful to keep you on the fish). These handheld devices will also show you your boat speed. You should be able to get a used one off of eBay for a minimal amount and perhaps off of other sites, such as KSL. I bet you could also find an AP for your smartphone that would, as a minimum, show your speed.
[signature]
Handheld GPS units on eBay:

[url "https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l2632.R3.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xhandheld+GPS.TRS0&_nkw=handheld+gps&_sacat=159043"]Link:[/url]
[signature]
I bet you could also find an AP for your smartphone that would, as a minimum, show your speed.

Thanks for the good advice. Unfortunately I have and old dumb phone and for the cost of a nice smartphone I could buy a whiz bang new sonar. Priorities, priorities.
[signature]

Wow, there are a ton on there. I've got an eTrex 20 around here somewhere that I used for hunting. I never was very adept with it and didn't think of it showing trolling speed.
[signature]

Craig, I don't know what sonars you have, but unless they have an internal GPS, you won't really read an accurate speed. Is there a small thing on the bottom of the stern hull, maybe next to or part of the sonar bracket that looks like a little water wheel ? If so, that is the old school speedometer. If it's there, then there should be some way to turn it on in your screen menus. If not then you don't really have a SOW (Speed over water) or SOL (Speed over land) function. Almost all newer sonar units now days come with an internal GPS. I bought a Lowrance Hook 7 system a couple years ago at Cabelas when they were on sale. Originally $799.00 purchased for $499.00. Now is about time boat accessories start going on sale lots of places (West Marine, Cabelas , Sportsman's Warehouse)

I looked to see if I had any photos of the boat buckles that I mounted on my trailer. Didn't have any, so took one today after we got off the river.
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
I totally understand the not wanting to get your "new to you" ride all fish slimy. When I bought my first boat a 2004 Lund 17' Pro Sport, I got some good advice from the dealer. If you are going to use this to do mostly fishing, don't get carpet. Was good advice I followed on second boat also, the one I have now 2007 Lund 14" WCDLX.
My decking is all vinyl. Easy to clean, hooks don't get snagged up in it.

End of every fishing season, I take everything out of the boat. Take it to a DIY car wash, do a good inside and out spray down with just hot, high pressure water, no soap. Take it back to the shed, chock the tires, make sure the plugs are pulled, jack up the trailer front end until the motor prop is about 1 inch off the floor (that is just past a 45 degree angle) place a home made support stand under the front frame and let it drain about a week. Then leave all the plugs out, put it back down on the trailer landing gear, leave all the storage lids open, bilge lid open, battery out and connected to a trickle charger, gas tank emptied (only 3 gal. and usually put in my truck). Pull all the ropes and lines and hang in large loose loops from the shed wall so they will dry.

There ya go, you are drained and dried over the winter, complying with the requirements of Invasive Species regulations, and ready to get back on the waterthe following year.
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool