Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry Marina Road Fee
Got to love internet forums!! Kills me... A place you can say anything.I am not happy about the $12 charge, but i will pay it if i access the marina area. I am shocked it took this long for the charge to be put in place. The cost to keep that road open is at a high cost to the lodge. I will just enjoy that i got to access it for years for free. Now in due turn i will pay for it!!! Not that big of a deal. I completely understand it.
[signature]
So we'll pay at the marina store? I'm hoping and assuming that they'll accept credit cards so I don't have to remember to bring cash. Thanks for sharing the information. It does sting a little bit, but, it's sure nice to have the road maintained/plowed.
[signature]
I don't fish at Strawberry during the winter, so I have no dog in this race but you got to consider how much we all pay to do the things we like to do. How much do we pay to see a movie in the theater, or go to a baseball, basketball or football game, how about skiing. I think it is just like Kent said, it would have been better if the eased into this but it has always cost to launch a boat there during the solfwater season, so it's no different that paying any of those fees when we do what we love to do. IMO the alternative would be worse, shutting down the road when they run out of funds to pay for the expense of gas and paying the person to run the plow.
[signature]
[quote gofish435]

You are correct in that money from your license (habitat fund) and money from State Parks & Recreation (snowmobile access fund) went to help fund the snow removal at Strawberry.

A total of $15,000 from the habitat fund and $40,000 of in-kind from the State Parks fund is what was budgeted for 2020. This money has never really covered the whole cost of snow removal at Strawberry, especially on big snow years.

[/quote]

I quoted your statement to the folks at The Strawberry Marina and asked if this was factual. This is the reply that I got from Cameron Phillips:

"No. There is state money used to help plow the lots around here, Clyde creek, coop creek and mud creek. The road into strawberry and it’s maintenance has fallen under the marina’s cost since we began plowing it in 1995

Well I guess yes it is factual but it covers two different subjects if that makes sense"
[signature]
After talking with the Forest service in Heber, they said you could still fish in Mud Creek with out being charged the fee, the fee is for the use of the parking lot at the marina. If they are charging you for Mud Creek then let the FS know.

I see the reason for the fee, I guess it's my fault since I desided to not drive to the marina anymore since my last time there and to focus more on Chicken Creek and Ladders area. Now everyone that doesn't want to pay will flow over to there. [:/]
[signature]
So my question is do we still have to pay a launch fee. If not when are the times we do? Or is this fee just for soft water.
[signature]
[quote WesternWalker]So my question is do we still have to pay a launch fee. If not when are the times we do? Or is this fee just for soft water.[/quote]

My understanding is the fee is only during the winter when they are plowing.
[signature]
As I think about it, a few years ago, I recall the road being closed or was threatened to be closed towards the end of the ice fishing season due to no funds left to keep it open. I remember the complaining that took place... but when the budget is gone, so is the service. I thought at the time that going in to fish the marina area by snowmobile would be a good thing as the crowds would be minimized and access by those of us with snowmobiles would be the only access. I never did try it. Anybody else remember?
[signature]
This was last year, so yes I remember.
[signature]
Thanks for the clarification.

Personally I could never see how paying to have snow plowed at Strawberry could fall under habitat improvement.

The only habitat it improved was the anglers.[Wink]
[signature]
Here is the thread discussing the closure of the road in March 2019.

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=1066486;#1066486"]Link[/url]
[signature]
[quote fishroof]I agree with most of what you say,but calling people childish for expressing their views isn’t a Humble opinion in my not so humble opinion.I am waiting for your usual response of calling for your senior or military discount .[/quote][size 4][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]PLEASE - for the benefit of everybody else on BFT - HOLD YOUR BREATH WHILE YOU WAIT![/#][/font][/size]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
You know I own my own business and I pay for my own. Snow removal all by myself it's called a cost of doing business wonder if sportsman's wearhouse or Walmart started charging you to park in their parking lot just to shop in their store would that be a little silly . So now you have to pay for parking and it's going toward snow removal if one was to slip and fall dose this open them up to lawsuits. Cause now they have a responsibility to keep everything ice free and safe travel

Asking for a friend
[signature]
Is the fee $12 per day? or
Is the fee $12 for the season?
The fee is $12 a day.
[signature]
For next year(s) maybe they could get sponsors. I wouldn't mind seeing some advertising like at the soccer or ball fields if it were to help out. Or like adopt a road.
[signature]
Equating Walmart or Sportsman's Warehouse charging you to park to shop at their store is not even close to the Marina operators charging you to keep open road access that allows you to reach a portion of the lake you would otherwise be unable to do. You don't have to set foot into the Marina/ Lodge or spend a penny with them to use they road that they have plowed for you and any others access the lake. Of course they hope you will do some business with them. It is my guess that the business they do in the winter would not even come close to offsetting the costs of keeping the road open. My guess is they would just close in the winter.
How would you like it if people used your parking lot that you say you have to pay to keep open for your business and then people went right by your business and did something else while using the access you paid to provide.
So if 12 bucks is steep for you don't use it and go to the free locations. Its simple, its your choice no one is forcing you.

Maybe they could consider validation, spend some money with them and road access is discounted?

Just my two cents worth.
MD Out
[signature]
time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life
Happens all the time .. plus isn't that a federal park anyways close the road or don't plow it makes no difference to me I have snowmobiles tracked utv I'll make it to the water anyways. I am sure plenty of people will just park in mud creek and sled out from there now
[signature]
I was there today. Crazy. I arrived at 4:30 a.m. when the lot was all but empty. I looked for a pay box or sign or something but found nothing. We stayed until about 12:30 expecting to find a ticket or something on the windshield but found nothing. A lot of the vehicles had a hang tag on the mirror, many had a yellow piece of paper under their wiper blade. I slowly drove by one of the vehicles with the yellow paper and I think it told them that they needed to pay to be there. Somehow they missed my truck. Talked with one guy who said they had a person standing at the turn off from the highway waiving vehicles over and letting them know they had to pay to use the road. The only thing I saw was a sign down by the visitors center that was positioned in the road identifying the area was a fee area. When we left, vehicles were parked everywhere blocking people in. We got lucky and found a way out of the parking lot with our snowmobile trailer. I am sure many people got caught with their "pants down" and were not too happy about owing for the privilege to park. Hopefully this new move will help with the parking situation at the Marina. I could not believe the ignorant people who are so self centered that they care not where they park and who they block in. It will be interesting to see how all this pans out. The road was plowed and it looked like they used a front end loader to do it. Not a very good job of clearing the snow. Glad I had 4 wheel drive to pull my snowmobile in. Leaving, the road was pretty well flattened out from heavy traffic use. Still a rough drive. If they collected $12 from everyone who was there today, they collected a lot of money. With all the ignoramus's that were there, part of the service for the $12 should include a parking attendant to direct parking so those who get there early can get out. If I was a vengeful individual, I would have keyed some vehicles. My wife wanted to leave a nasty gram attached to their windshield, but I have learned that you have to be intelligent enough to be able to read. Obviously those who blocked people in have no intelligence.
[signature]