Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake in August
My wife and I are headed to Bear Lake this coming Friday for a few days , and I'm planning to take my boat . I fish BL a lot but this is the first time that I have ever gone up there this time of year. Has anybody ever had any kind of luck fish at Bear Lake in August ? I have plans to troll and Jig so I have that covered  , just wondering . Confused
(07-26-2020, 03:12 PM)AFDan52 Wrote: My wife and I are headed to Bear Lake this coming Friday for a few days , and I'm planning to take my boat . I fish BL a lot but this is the first time that I have ever gone up there this time of year. Has anybody ever had any kind of luck fish at Bear Lake in August ? I have plans to troll and Jig so I have that covered  , just wondering . Confused
You got married! Congrats Dan!! Here is the last post, maybe you saw it already, where a member was asking the same question, I think what was posted still applies now:

https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=1095739

I
n Sept everything will start changing but I think the response to this thread above will pretty much hold true for Aug. Good luck, hope you have a good trip my friend.
Dan, here is a link to a post from the earliest I can remember of anyone doing well up there:
https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/showthre...=bear+lake

Here is a link to when I did the best up there:

Too bad no pics because we lost them all with the new site switch over but it was my biggest mack to date on Big Blue.
(07-26-2020, 07:27 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Dan, here is a link to a post from the earliest I can remember of anyone doing well up there:

Here is a link to when I did the best up there:

Too bad no pics because we lost them all with the new site switch over but it was my biggest mack to date on Big Blue.
Lucky I saved that pics of that BL mack, here it is:

[Image: curtsmack09-12-11.jpg]
Thanks Curt , I actually got married in September of 2017 , she's the best , and like fishing. Well I thought this trip was going to be hit or miss on the fishing end of it. But we are going to be there until the 14th of August , so I'll just do my best . Thanks for the help ,  I'll post some reports if I find any action.
(07-26-2020, 07:36 PM)AFDan52 Wrote: Thanks Curt , I actually got married in September of 2017 , she's the best , and like fishing. Well I thought this trip was going to be hit or miss on the fishing end of it. But we are going to be there until the 14th of August , so I'll just do my best . Thanks for the help ,  I'll post some reports if I find any action.

Wow, it's been that long ago already since you got married, I do remember you talking about it, time sure flies.
You never know but I'd consider trolling the East side between Rainbow cove and Second point. It you can find some stacked fish, you might be in luck.
Well I'll have plenty of time to do that. Lol
(07-26-2020, 08:41 PM)AFDan52 Wrote: Well I'll have plenty of time to do that. Lol
Went up a few weeks ago caught 6 macs one day and 5 a few days later
(07-27-2020, 08:04 PM)Lundboy54 Wrote:
(07-26-2020, 08:41 PM)AFDan52 Wrote: Well I'll have plenty of time to do that. Lol
         Were you Trolling or Jigging? 
(07-27-2020, 08:07 PM)AFDan52 Wrote:
         Were you Trolling or Jigging? 
Jigging
Wow, that's really good, were any of them over 5 lbs?
Thanks Lundboy54 , I need to get practicing my Jigging techniques up there again. I go up there a lot , but usually trolling .

(07-27-2020, 10:47 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
Only 2 biggest was 7 most 2 to 3lbs but i had never fished it in the summer
(07-28-2020, 12:44 AM)Lundboy54 Wrote:
(07-27-2020, 10:47 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
Only 2 biggest was 7 most 2 to 3lbs but i had never fished it in the summer
That is better than anyone else that I know that fishes there during the Summer. Since Idaho is only stocking sterile macks and now they are netting them to put in another lake in Idaho, the days of the big old macks could be gone.
(07-27-2020, 11:41 PM)AFDan52 Wrote: Thanks Lundboy54 , I need to get practicing my Jigging techniques up there again. I go up there a lot , but usually trolling .

Going up tomorrow ill let u know how it is
Thanks my friend , I appreciate that . i hope the fishing Gods Smile on you.
Hey Dan sorry I missed this conversation sooner, been hearing of folks fishing hoppers off the east side in the early mornings and doing okay for cutts. If you want to try some top water early before the sun hits the water over there... Guess you could try live bait or a fly imitation.. Good luck and have a fun trip... Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Fished Bear Lake this morning. On the water at 5:30 and fished east side. caught 4 nice cutts in the first hour then thing went silent. Marked lots of fish in the 100 to 120' depths suspended at 80 to 40'. Marked lots of bait balls. 3 of the cutts still had last night dinner in there throats. All in all a good day in Aug on the Rocky Mountain Caribbean. Left around 9. Lots of people and boats and paddle boarders and jet skis.
(08-02-2020, 02:01 AM)Jonesy84404 Wrote: Fished Bear Lake this morning. On the water at 5:30 and fished east side. caught 4 nice cutts in the first hour then thing went silent. Marked lots of fish in the 100 to 120' depths suspended at 80 to 40'. Marked lots of bait balls. 3 of the cutts still had last night dinner in there throats. All in all a good day in Aug on the Rocky Mountain Caribbean. Left around 9. Lots of people and boats and paddle boarders and jet skis.
         Thanks Jonesy , Hopefully the water traffic will clam down during the week. Thanks for your help.
I was up there all week long but only fished 5-6 hours for two of the days. All vertical jigging with a 5 inch white glow tube tipped with sucker meat. Landed 3 lake trout, biggest was 34 and the smallest was 26. 20 or so cutts. I was on the East side in front of the state park in 80 feet of water. I just spot locked when I found the cisco balls. Big lake but the jet skis and the wake suffers must think I like watching them. Smile