Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Safe ice digest
With the freezing up of Bear Lake we are seeing one of the coldest years in a long time. Just about anywhere has enough ice in one spot or another for people to get out on. Many people have put their spuds away but you should take one along especially when fishing places which are just firming up like Bear Lake.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

We've gotten to the point in the year when various lakes are beginning to get unsafe. Or, since no ice is ever 100% safe, dangerously thin might be a better description. I just don't enjoy having to get a big plank or ladder to get out onto the "good" ice and having to worry about when I might step through a random hole. I, and I suspect a lot of others, tend to get a little lax about safety items like rescue ropes, ice picks, PFDs, etc. through mid-season where the ice is thick and we can't imagine anyone falling through. Time to get serious again as ice deteriorates. One of the most important things to do is learn what the condition of the ice says about its solidity. Maybe someone could give us a reminder course on that. I know I don't know everything about that yet.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.