Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burbot Bash at Flaming Gorge started by Bigfishtackle
In 2009 Bigfishtackle with the help of the Wyo Fish and Game and the Utah DWR hosted the first Burbot Bash at the Lost Dog area of Flaming Gorge. Many local business with their kind donations were able to help us get around 100 members and local residents to meet and not only win prizes but to learn how to catch burbot and to process them. Over all it turned out well although not a lot of burbot was caught by the average member, here is a link to a post about that first Bash:
https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/showthre...urbot+bash
https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/showthre...tid=464260
The only news coverage we got that first year was from Adam Eakle but the second year we got a little coverage; Here is a link to that article:

https://www.daggettcounty.org/ArchiveCen...e/Item/262

After 2010, Bigfishtackle decided to let the WF&G and the Chamber of Commerce take over the event, since they were really involved that second year, after they saw how well that first year turned out. Also, we felt they could do a better job of organizing the big event they wanted it to become. 
Lots of hard work, including many many phone calls and permits went into making that first Bash a success, along with the members that helped put it all together. Even though those events happened long ago I would again like to thank all those members that helped with that first and second event, along with all the sponsors. 

I'm posting this today because this board was started twenty years ago this month and this is just one of the many things that BFT Utah has accomplished during those years. Here is a link to the thread that was started about the Twenty year anniversary:
https://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/show...id=1100168
More threads to come on what we have done here on the BFT Utah board, in the last 20 years.
Thanks Curt! I have good memories of the first and second Burbot Bash. I remember a good sized crowd being taught how to catch burbot by UDWR (Ryno) and Wyo Fish and Game (Keith). It was my first time ice fishing at night. We caught a few small burbot and was interviewed by Adam Eakle. Good times...
(02-11-2022, 06:17 PM)hookngrinin Wrote: Thanks Curt! I have good memories of the first and second Burbot Bash. I remember a good sized crowd being taught how to catch burbot by UDWR (Ryno) and Wyo Fish and Game (Keith).  It was my first time ice fishing at night. We caught a few small burbot and was interviewed by Adam Eakle. Good times...

Agreed, it was some good times and Ryan and Keith sure helped us out a bunch with their demo's. Adam interviewed me as well, I guess I should see if they have the footage of that first Bash in their archives, although at the time Adam wasn't with KSL.
(02-11-2022, 05:44 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Lots of hard work, including many many phone calls and permits went into making that first Bash a success, along with the members that helped put it all together. Even though those events happened long ago I would again like to thank all those members that helped with that first and second event, along with all the sponsors.
You're welcome, Curt!   Big Grin
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
(02-11-2022, 10:27 PM)dubob Wrote:
(02-11-2022, 05:44 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Lots of hard work, including many many phone calls and permits went into making that first Bash a success, along with the members that helped put it all together. Even though those events happened long ago I would again like to thank all those members that helped with that first and second event, along with all the sponsors.

It's hard to name everyone but your contributions were greatly appreciated Bob. Smile
(02-11-2022, 11:28 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

It's hard to name everyone but your contributions were greatly appreciated Bob. Smile

Just pullin' your chain a little Curt.   You took up the challenge and it worked great.  And look what it has evolved into.  I still have the T-Shirt.  You deserve the kudos - Thank You! 
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
(02-12-2022, 03:32 PM)dubob Wrote:
(02-11-2022, 11:28 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

Just pullin' your chain a little Curt.   You took up the challenge and it worked great.  And look what it has evolved into.  I still have the T-Shirt.  You deserve the kudos - Thank You! 

Thanks Bob, it was a big project for sure and I'm just glad it worked out as well as it did. An old member, Fishley was the one that came up with the idea but had could not pull it off, we were in a better position to make it happen and it worked Wink
I remember the first two. We went up the day before both times and caught fish before lots of folks showed up. The first time I didn't know the proper hook set on them and kept pulling the hook away too soon. After that first lesson I have done much better. Adam Eakle and I had fun talking about a shared good friend that we can't get to go ice fishing.
This was so awesome, such a great "give-back" and a chance to learn and help. I went to the bash three times and I learned a lot about the lake in general.

Still haven't caught one, though. Snake-bit.
Thanks Curt and everyone else that helped get this all started.  Hard to believe it began as a group of anglers wanting to make a difference and then moved through a few different iterations of tournaments leading us to what we see today- an event that attracts over a thousand anglers and generates over $50K in cash and prizes.  I still have some pics from that original event, including this one of you being interviewed by Mr. Eakle.

Thanks again!  Ryno

[Image: BB09-7.jpg]
(02-14-2022, 02:47 PM)Ryno Wrote: Thanks Curt and everyone else that helped get this all started.  Hard to believe it began as a group of anglers wanting to make a difference and then moved through a few different iterations of tournaments leading us to what we see today- an event that attracts over a thousand anglers and generates over $50K in cash and prizes.  I still have some pics from that original event, including this one of you being interviewed by Mr. Eakle.

Thanks again!  Ryno

[Image: BB09-7.jpg]

Thanks Ryan, do you think Adam still has access to that video of that first show he did about the Bash? I know he was with a different TV station at the time. I lost his phone number years ago, can you send me a PM with his contact info?
Done. Thanks sir!
(02-14-2022, 04:14 PM)Ryno Wrote: Done.  Thanks sir!

Thanks again Ryan.