Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cat Chat 2022
John, after a few years in the contest I've about decided that winners are decided by who has the better conditions that year. It's not that great at UL this year but I know you guys are really suffering. I think both teams have some great fishers and water so as I said, conditions are the determining factor, in my opinion. This year at least. Good luck in finding some more good ones here toward the end. I know I could use some.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

I just need to get out a little more... This is the first year I haven't at least broke 80 points, in fact I haven't gotten a 27"er yet this year... Last couple trips I have found some fish, it's just that I seem to be stuck on 23"ers this year... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
To all the North team I am sorry to report that I am no longer working up north. I'm going to miss having the Bear River so close and accessible and especially miss the Malad river a.k.a. my personal bait supply of suckers just down the street from my office.  Fishing on my lunch was a regular activity and was a nice break from work.

I'm now working in the Salt Lake area so making it out up north to target cats will now have to be a scheduled trip. With such low water in the Bear and tough fishing, along with so many other fishing opportunities elsewhere, I doubt I will get out up there much going forward. 

I guess I'm going to have to start exploring the lower Jordan river and see what I can drum up. I caught a 30" cat out of there a couple of years ago and maybe I can find some more.
Hey Paul, we'd love a poached cat to help win the contest... Sorry to hear your not up north as much, but we'll take you when we can get you... Best of luck... J
Oh my 14 fishing days left. Looks like 30 + catfish are still coming out of Utah Lake. Here on the lower Bear River things have slowed way down. your lucky to find 20 inch fish. The guys in charge of the gates keep changing things up. one day the river may have a very slow flow the next it could be dead still with green algae along the banks. Do my best in water with a nice current. Not saying that you can't get a nice fish just that they are more babies now.
[Image: IMG-0196.jpg]
There's Always Time For One More Cast
Yes Sir John, two weeks from today is the wrapping up of the contest, and I'm hearing snow next Saturday, so maybe only a week left up north to get one to score... Hope I can get out for at least one more try... Good luck all... Later Jeff
Hey John, those are some great looking Cats. With the past couple months of higher air temp and lower water levels, I've been hitting Willard Bay a couple times a week.  I can still launch from the north marina ramp, but the low water is reducing the big boats way down, yay  Big Grin . Been several days I've been the only boat on the water.  

My catches have all been just Catfish, but with less water to cover, light breezes, few to no bugs, it's been quite pleasant on the water. I've been releasing most of my catch, but have kept a few to replenish my stock for dinners. 

[Image: 062.jpg]     [Image: 086.jpg]  
    29 August                                 26 September
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Well gang it's been another fun filled Cat season, a tough one but a fun one. Congratulations to Team South. Don't think I can recall so many 30+ fish coming from down there. For another year a Big Thank You to Jeff (SnkunkedAgain ) For the work he dose to run this contest for us.

Ok Bragging time. My personal best that 34 inch monster Catfish also seems to be the biggest fish of this contest for all the years I've been a part of it. Don't know if Jeff has records of the contest prior to 2016.

[Image: catcon101716.jpg]

[Image: catcon100217.jpg]

[Image: catcon102318.png]

[Image: catcon101519.png]

[Image: 2020-05-14.png]

[Image: 030-2021-Cat-Contest-Standings-29-Oct-2021.jpg]

[Image: 2022-10-29.png]

Hope to See you all next year. Good luck to all of you that well be going on to the Ice fishing challenge.
There's Always Time For One More Cast
Well done Ahi. Quality and consistency. Congrats on the biggun
(10-30-2022, 12:19 PM)Ahi1953 Wrote: Well gang it's been another fun filled Cat season, a tough one but a fun one. Congratulations to Team South. Don't think I can recall so many 30+ fish coming from down there. For another year a Big Thank You to Jeff (SnkunkedAgain ) For the work he dose to run this contest for us.

Ok Bragging time. My personal best that 34 inch monster Catfish also seems to be the biggest fish of this contest for all the years I've been a part of it. Don't know if Jeff has records of the contest prior to 2016.

[Image: catcon101716.jpg]

[Image: catcon100217.jpg]

[Image: catcon102318.png]

[Image: catcon101519.png]

[Image: 2020-05-14.png]

[Image: 030-2021-Cat-Contest-Standings-29-Oct-2021.jpg]

[Image: 2022-10-29.png]

Hope to See you all next year. Good luck to all of you that well be going on to the Ice fishing challenge.

Great fish John, what a beast. I don't know why it doesn't show, but BLK caught a 34" 2 years ago to beat me out.  I remember it well because I led the contest most of the year and BLK caught that great fish near the end and burst my bubble.
Yup I'll confirm that a 34 is the biggest fish in the contest since my records begin in 2014, however, I'll also confirm Paul's statement that Lynn (BLK) did catch a 34" as well in the 2020 contest... Bryton's score last year at 97.5 is the highest ever on my records for this contest... Last day today, hope everyone that still has fish to enter will get it done before Midnight tonight and we'll announce the winner tomorrow.... i think the odds are John will pick up the title again this year after a couple year break... Way to go John, and congrats to everyone else that fought hard and set some high marks this year... I'll bet there were a lot of personal best years this year... Nice job for all that accomplished that... Vi, most any other year, it would have been you at the top, congrats on an incredible season, you really showed a lot of boys how it's done... Nice job... Got 6 in the 90 and above club this year, that's a great year... only 2020 was better than that at 10 that year... Thanks everyone for keeping this fun and working so hard at making this kind of scores possible... Almost time to rest your arms from the heavy torque of the big cats... get ready for the variety challenge that is the ice contest... BTW, I guess we'll need to get that organized soon, we usually like to start by mid November...... Keep that in your plans... Later Jeff
Congrats to all the Cat Catchers.  Was a fairly tough year for the north team, but unless a last minute hog comes in from down south, looks like John is back in the top spot.  

I went up to the Bear River Bird Refuge Saturday morning.  River level was up a bit from my last trip in August but the gates at the bottom bridges were mostly closed, so not alot of flow.  Was hoping to at least catch a bumper for the end of the contest, but no joy.   

Congrats again to all the folks that chased the Cats this year.  Those that are now gearing up for the hard deck,  BE CAREFUL out on the ice.   Time for me to winterize the old Tin-Can and clean out and restock the tackle boxes. 

[Image: 013-29-Oct-2022.jpg]

"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Last call for your cat postings was midnight last night, I didn't see any new postings so I'll put together the official contest placings and announce it later today hopefully... Later Jeff
Will you post the youth winner as well. Catslayer was wondering if he won the youth for sure

Never mind Jeff.... You posted in the scorecard the winners, I just hadn't got there yet. Catslayer is Devon and it may be his last year as a youth.