Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
annual state park pass
I got my new 2023 pass today. First thing I noticed besides the lanyard and the credit card size, was the bar code on the back. I hope this means that they will be putting readers at the gates of every State park so that all you have to do is have the reader scan your pass and you can get in, BEFORE 6AM. I am tired of the parks working on bankers hours, especially when you get run off the lake by the power squadron by 10:30. You can be on the water at first light and off before you have to deal with the skiers, jet skis etc !!! ( we can only hope that this is what will happen, don't hold your breath !!)
That would be really nice in the summer when it's light early and you have to wait to get in... Totally like what you're putting out there, hope the state park will do it... Probably save them enforcement money in the long run...
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(12-21-2022, 01:39 AM)kentofnsl Wrote:
(12-21-2022, 01:25 AM)smokepoles Wrote: Park pass arrived today (ordered 12/12).  It even came with the lanyard to hang it if you wish.

I bought mine at their office on North Temple and mine didn't come with a lanyard.  I was told that it is not necessary to display the pass this year.  I hope that I was given correct information.

Indeed, no need to display this year 2022.  Now I expect necessary for next year 2023!  At least description indicates to use a lanyard for handing on mirror display.
(12-21-2022, 04:55 PM)smokepoles Wrote:
(12-21-2022, 01:39 AM)kentofnsl Wrote:
(12-21-2022, 01:25 AM)smokepoles Wrote: Park pass arrived today (ordered 12/12).  It even came with the lanyard to hang it if you wish.

I bought mine at their office on North Temple and mine didn't come with a lanyard.  I was told that it is not necessary to display the pass this year.  I hope that I was given correct information.

Indeed, no need to display this year 2022.  Now I expect necessary for next year 2023!  At least description indicates to use a lanyard for handing on mirror display.

You caught me.  I meant to type, "I was told that it is not necessary to display the pass next year." Really frustrating, I almost made it the entire year without making a mistake. Wink 

"Now I expect necessary for next year 2023!  At least description indicates to use a lanyard for handing on mirror display."  Please provide a source for your statement.  I was told that one no longer needed to display the pass, because there had been folks breaking vehicle windows and stealing displayed park passes.
https://parkspass.utah.gov/parks/ANNUAL/dayuse

Physical Pass

This is a physical card and lanyard that you hang on the rearview mirror for entry into the park. Wait 7-10 days for a physical pass to arrive in the mail.
(12-21-2022, 05:34 PM)smokepoles Wrote: https://parkspass.utah.gov/parks/ANNUAL/dayuse

Physical Pass

This is a physical card and lanyard that you hang on the rearview mirror for entry into the park. Wait 7-10 days for a physical pass to arrive in the mail.

They need to train the folks who issue the passes in their main North Temple office.  They told me that I could just put the pass in my wallet.
Yup, that'll work for walk in entry, but seems to go against how they have done things up to now. I mean, checking parked car for pass or fee payment is a major effort, at least at Hyrum and the parks I've been to, and sure to get a ticket if pass not displayed.
(12-21-2022, 06:33 PM)smokepoles Wrote: Yup, that'll work for walk in entry, but seems to go against how they have done things up to now.  I mean, checking parked car for pass or fee payment is a major effort, at least at Hyrum and the parks I've been to, and sure to get a ticket if pass not displayed.

I agree.  I had a lengthy conversation with them about how will they know if the owner of a parked vehicle has a pass if the pass is not displayed in the window.  They told me that the change was made because people were breaking into vehicles and stealing displayed passes.
It looks like they are going to offer a digital pass to load in your phone somewhere later on.  

It says it will be linked to your license plate number but what happens if you're riding with someone else with your pass?  I'm not sure how that will work. Undecided
(12-12-2022, 01:32 AM)gofish435 Wrote:
(12-12-2022, 12:08 AM)smokepoles Wrote: Recent posts on Hyrum and Echo reminded me to purchase the 2023 annual pass to Utah state parks.  There is a new pass format this year, credit card size with a slot so that it can be hung from rear mirror with a clip lanyard, or easily carried on one's self if biking or walking into the park. Also, reminder that it takes 7-10 working days to get the pass if ordered online, and the pass itself must be in hand to enter park as receipt does not work as in prior years.  With the increases in day use fees (e.g. $20 for Hyrum, not to mention Willard) the annual pass is a no brainer to have in hand on Jan 1, 2023.
Thanks for the reminder along with the changes in the pass.  I knew it was going to a calendar year but I didn't know of the other changes.

I wonder if the individual parks will have them on hand at the first of the year?

Goodness!   $20 for a one day pass?????
I believe the standard resident day use fee is 15, 10 for seniors though depending on park there may be a lower fees for 'off season' or greater fees for peak times (Fri - Sun) and holidays. Kinda hard to sort out and not real transparent as seems you gotta go to individual park site or try to purchase to find out - why not a list all in one place?.
That would be too easy . I, am going to put ,mine on the dash , were it can be seen. It looks like it is going to be set up like when you go to work and have to punch in. Looks like a lot of extra work I hope the gate opens when you arrive at any time you get there.
Seems to me with the day passes continuing to increase in price and few parks reducing fees in the winter that they are trying to push everyone into annual passes.. I was trying to see if I could get in now with the new 2023 annual pass, ya know the early purchase bonus type deal, nope that's not going to happen, but they were amazed that I'd be going to the parks multiple times this time of year... Don't think they know much about ice fishermen do they... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!