Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2023 Flotilla
(03-17-2023, 12:26 PM)catchinon Wrote: That's great Lance. Just out of curiosity, how many are you bringing? Will you be needing to hook up with someone who has room in their boat?

2, maybe 3

As for a ride on the Titanic, we would enjoy a boat ride around catfish country, but have no problem soaking bait from a lawn chair and taking a nice nap, either.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(03-16-2023, 10:52 PM)TubeDude Wrote:
(03-16-2023, 09:14 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote:
(03-16-2023, 08:10 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Ya can take Jeff outta the country, but you cain't ever take the country offa Jeff.

Yup you two are very correct, it's the interstate pulling a boat trailer that raises my attention factor... When I'm in a little car it's a different animal, but when I'm pulling the boat I don't move or stop very fast if that's necessary.  I do agree the way down won't be bad, it's just the ride home that raises my eyebrow... Hopefully it won't be in too crowded of a timeframe so I can slip in and out without being a target of too many crazy drivers... Good notes too Pat on the area there, that helps me get an idea of where to try fishing that day... Maybe I'll have to team up with some of you guys for directions where to go and what to try... Thanks Jeff
By that date we should have some more first hand experience on how the new "Delta" system of Provo River inflow will affect where the fish hang out and how to fish for them.  Likely to be some interesting differences.
That's what I was wondering about if that was the area that just had the new river changes... Didn't know if it was Provo or Spanish Fork where they had been doing the river modifications... Since I don't fish there much I hadn't followed it very closely... If I remember correctly this event will be somewhat close to when the white bass run up the mouth of the rivers to spawn isn't it?  If so that would be fun to catch some of them, if the population is still big enough to find them... will be watching and seeing what you guys learn... Thanks for the heads up Pat....  Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Mid May is historically right in the middle of the white bass spawn.  So there should be some available.  However, with last years's big die-off it remains to be seen how many will show up.
(03-17-2023, 03:37 PM)MWScott72 Wrote:
(03-16-2023, 09:14 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote:
(03-16-2023, 08:10 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Ya can take Jeff outta the country, but you cain't ever take the country offa Jeff.

Yup you two are very correct, it's the interstate pulling a boat trailer that raises my attention factor... When I'm in a little car it's a different animal, but when I'm pulling the boat I don't move or stop very fast if that's necessary.  I do agree the way down won't be bad, it's just the ride home that raises my eyebrow... Hopefully it won't be in too crowded of a timeframe so I can slip in and out without being a target of too many crazy drivers... Good notes too Pat on the area there, that helps me get an idea of where to try fishing that day... Maybe I'll have to team up with some of you guys for directions where to go and what to try... Thanks Jeff

You'll be fine Jeff.  It's a Saturday and NOT a holiday weekend, so traffic shouldn't be a big factor.  Just pull your boat at the speed that you are comfortable at!  If that's 55 mph, just stay in the right lane and let the speed demons zip by in the outside lanes.  It's a rare event where you would have to brake hard at something.  Just be aware of what's around you, stay in the appropriate lane for your speed, and your trip will be a breeze.
Hey thanks, I'll have to get a new set of tires on my boat trailer before then, just to make sure I don't have problems on the freeway... That would be a nightmare, but I'm glad it shouldn't be too bad of traffic... I'll just have to change my regular driving habits of being in the left lane to adjust for trailer speed... I guess my nervousness stems from the last flotilla down south when the roads were still under construction and I hit some bad back up about Ikea and didn't get out of it until Ogden, that was a long trip... Better luck this year I hope, at least the roads should be better... later Jeff
(03-16-2023, 03:43 PM)MSM1970 Wrote:
(03-14-2023, 12:13 PM)dubob Wrote: Y'all have fun.  My boat refuses to be launched in Utah Lake.  ?

I don't think you are talking to it nice enough, some time they just need a bit of encouragement Big Grin
If I talked to the boat any sweeter, my bride would think I have a new girlfriend.   Heart

I'm fine with hauling in traffic.  For several years, I was double hauling to the Gorge and back on I-84/I-80.  Piece of cake.  It all stems from a confrontation my prop had with the bottom of the lake - it lost bigtime.  Ain't happinin' again.  Love you guys & gals and will miss the Party big time.  Y'all have fun.   Big Grin
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
(03-20-2023, 01:24 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Mid May is historically right in the middle of the white bass spawn.  So there should be some available.  However, with last years's big die-off it remains to be seen how many will show up.

Hey Pat do the White bass typically spawn in the Provo River?  I know I've read posts about great fishing that time of year in one of the river mouths, I don't remember which.  But if they do spawn in the Provo, then I would suspect they will be back.  How did the new river project change the river delta?  Did it fan it out more and make it more shallow and unable to get a boat in there to fish? Seems like I read they wanted to make better spawning habitat for the suckers, so I'm not sure that will be very deep if that is the case...  Hope it will make a great area for the fish to do their thing and make for better numbers down the road...

I know that die off will greatly reduce the numbers this year, but I hope there are still a few to try... Be fun to catch a couple, I've only caught one before and that was on the last flotilla... Don't know why I like the panfish so much, but they sure are fun to catch... Maybe the run off will be so high about then, that we'll want to stay away from the river inlet...  Seems like that is during the high runoff period... Well keep us informed if your fishing in that area... That time of year is usually pretty good fishing in a lot of areas, hope it will be this year... Later Jeff

(03-20-2023, 01:30 PM)dubob Wrote:
(03-16-2023, 03:43 PM)MSM1970 Wrote:
(03-14-2023, 12:13 PM)dubob Wrote: Y'all have fun.  My boat refuses to be launched in Utah Lake.  ?

I don't think you are talking to it nice enough, some time they just need a bit of encouragement Big Grin
If I talked to the boat any sweeter, my bride would think I have a new girlfriend.   Heart

I'm fine with hauling in traffic.  For several years, I was double hauling to the Gorge and back on I-84/I-80.  Piece of cake.  It all stems from a confrontation my prop had with the bottom of the lake - it lost bigtime.  Ain't happinin' again.  Love you guys & gals and will miss the Party big time.  Y'all have fun.   Big Grin

We'll miss you as well... but catch up with you at Willard or somewhere else along the season... Good luck.. J
Hey Jeff, you'll want to be aware that there a number of exits along the way where you are required to exit if you are in the right lane. I try to stay in the 2nd or 3rd lane and just maintain a comfortable speed. I'd rather be in one of those lanes than have to be juking over in traffic to merge left. The only time you really should be in the right lane is when you get to Provo Center Street. Just keep aware of the signs along the way.
Brett fished a couple of hours off the docks at Provo a while back. He caught 25 white bass. To paraphrase Mark Twain, the rumors of the white basses' demise have been greatly exaggerated. I'm sure that guys like Hook-sets and Pisco will be able to inform us of the state of the spawn and where to catch a few wb when the time comes.

Just wanted to let everyone know that there is camping right there by the harbor. There's also a private camp park just up the road. There's also a motel right there on Center where you exit the freeway and turn right.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

(03-20-2023, 01:51 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote:
(03-20-2023, 01:24 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Mid May is historically right in the middle of the white bass spawn.  So there should be some available.  However, with last years's big die-off it remains to be seen how many will show up.

Hey Pat do the White bass typically spawn in the Provo River?  I know I've read posts about great fishing that time of year in one of the river mouths, I don't remember which.  But if they do spawn in the Provo, then I would suspect they will be back.  How did the new river project change the river delta?  Did it fan it out more and make it more shallow and unable to get a boat in there to fish? Seems like I read they wanted to make better spawning habitat for the suckers, so I'm not sure that will be very deep if that is the case...  Hope it will make a great area for the fish to do their thing and make for better numbers down the road...

I know that die off will greatly reduce the numbers this year, but I hope there are still a few to try... Be fun to catch a couple, I've only caught one before and that was on the last flotilla... Don't know why I like the panfish so much, but they sure are fun to catch... Maybe the run off will be so high about then, that we'll want to stay away from the river inlet...  Seems like that is during the high runoff period... Well keep us informed if your fishing in that area... That time of year is usually pretty good fishing in a lot of areas, hope it will be this year... Later Jeff

The Provo River has always been one of the primary spawning tributaries for white bass.  It will be interesting to see how they respond this year.  They can scoot up some fairly shallow water to reach deeper spawning water.  And they spawn in several fairly small inlets around the lake.  But they also spawn along wave washed rocky shorelines where their broadcast eggs (no nests) can be aerated enough to survive to hatching.

For the benefit of anyone who has missed previous posts of information on the "Delta", here are a couple of articles.

Attached Files
.pdf   2017 PRDRP+Newsletter+.pdf (Size: 887.75 KB / Downloads: 8)
.pdf   MEETING HANDOUT.pdf (Size: 615.96 KB / Downloads: 13)
Thanks Craig and Pat for that info, will help a bunch... Thank you... Jeff
(03-15-2023, 06:12 PM)catchinon Wrote: Jeff it's easy. Come south on I15 and take the Center Street exit. Turn right on Center and go a couples of miles and you'll run right into it. Pavillion on the left and straight ahead for the ramps.

Just be sure it's the Center St. exit for Provo, NOT Orem  (there are 2)  
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
(03-21-2023, 03:28 PM)Tin-Can Wrote:
(03-15-2023, 06:12 PM)catchinon Wrote: Jeff it's easy. Come south on I15 and take the Center Street exit. Turn right on Center and go a couples of miles and you'll run right into it. Pavillion on the left and straight ahead for the ramps.

Just be sure it's the Center St. exit for Provo, NOT Orem  (there are 2)  

I will not let him get lost.  It will be nice to finally have him come down to see us for a change LOL
I just bought a new boat this year. I would love to come and will likely have room for one or two.
So Greg I suspect you and Landon will be sporting the new boat upgrade... If that's true I may have room in my boat for 1 or 2... Depends on what you plan on Greg... Later Jeff
Right now my wife and I will plan on being there and bring our boat. It's been several years since I've been down and fished the lake. Hopefully the water will be up a bit by then.
Will make an effort to attend this spring. Thanks for the post and invite.
Looks like Utah Lake continues to gradually fill:

[Image: UL-Water-Level-March-25-2023.jpg]

jack of all tackle, master of none
(03-25-2023, 04:13 PM)joatmon Wrote: Looks like Utah Lake continues to gradually fill:

[Image: UL-Water-Level-March-25-2023.jpg]

Good to see and will only get better as serious runoff begins.  Smile
According to the Utah Lake State Park site the lake is currently at 52.07%. I know earlier in the past year it was well below 50%. This is all good news but we've still got a long way to go. To make it a little more concrete the hole by the airport tower is now under 8' of water according to Jim. I think that last fall it was just 5 fow there, correct me if I'm wrong Brett. By comparison, the deepest places off the orchards were 13' a few years ago.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Lynn, BLK, has paid for the pavilion registration so we're all set for the Flotilla on May 20. It turns out there is another event that day but it shouldn't have much effect on our activities. It's a white bass tournament with cash prizes through fifth place. You can get details on FishDonkey.

All you need to do is set your plans and get ready to attend. Come up with something to wow us all with at the potluck. Get your catfish gear together and spiff up your boat. Check your bearings and lights on your trailer. Toss in a lighter rig for white bass. Pick out something you want to contribute to the prize drawings. If you're real brave go to businesses and solicit some prizes. This is not hard unless you are real shy. I have gotten contributions worth up to $200 from just asking; I was able to exchange that item for a lot of tackle including a quatily rod and a bunch of lures. I was also able to get a lure from the corner store where I by my bait.

Quick update from the Utah Lake State Park home page: The water level is now up to 56.2% and the water temperature is 44°F.

It looks like we have at least 30 people set to come to the Flotilla. We expect up to twice that number, so keep those cards and letters coming. Here's what I have so far. I've made a couple of assumptions so feel free to correct me if you want. Keep in mind that if you say you are coming and then can't make it we will give you a full refund of your entry fee ;-}, but you must be present to win a prize. We'll take a raincheck for fishing together.
Catchinon + 5
Mooseman + 5
RockyRaab
SkunkedAgain
Fritzfishin
Piscophilic + ?
BLK + 4
TubeDude + 1
Cowboypirate + 3
Big-griggs + ?
Pennyfarmer2
Jig-fisher + 1
Humble_fisher
Joatmon

More info on the Utah Lake White Bass Tournament, also on May 20th.

This appears to be a tournament being put together for the first time. They have a good amount of interest, and they will probably number around 30 or so participants. The organizer has contacted DWR about their tournament and was advised that they would have to register their tournament with the DWR inasmuch as they were offering cash prizes. They would also have to limit their group to using non-motorized boats, and be required to assure their participants were in compliance with licensing and mussel certifications issues. As of my last visit to their FB page they were going to limit their fishing to non-motorized boats, kayaks, tubes, toons and shore fishing from the dikes and the river. I'm sure they will be as respectful to us as we are to them. There may be BFTers among both groups Smile  

So, it might be a bit crowded for launching and for access to the river and along the dikes, but there will be lots of open sea for our group.

BLK