Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Icefishing Gear Wish List?
(10-14-2023, 01:41 PM)joatmon Wrote: I noticed that Scheels has their icefishing gear out. I need to restock a few things, but have no major purchases planned. As far as a wish list, I have contemplated (coveted?) a 2 person flip over shelter, but would probably need a snowmobile. 

What’s on your icefishing wish list?

I think if I had anything on my wish list I'd probably want a livescope, but my good old striker 4 works great in the meantime and I catch lots of fish still. I bought an Ion ice auger 2 years ago and that has been a game changer for me and being able to move when I want.  I always hated mixing gas and having carb issues at high elevation with my gas auger.    I have also considered a 1 man flip over, but for me part of the fun is being in the elements and enjoying the view and probably wouldn't enjoy sitting in a dark "cave" the whole time. Plus it's just more weight and gear to clean up and haul when its time to leave.  If I dress warm enough I don't mind the cold. I've found that good boots make all the difference of how long I can stay on the ice more than anything else, so I splurged on some Baffins a few years ago and they have been great.  If it's reallllly cold and snowy and windy, I don't go anyway.
(10-18-2023, 05:10 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote:
(10-17-2023, 07:14 PM)hook_sets Wrote: I am hoping to get a northern pike through the ice this year, got my walleye a few years ago.

Good luck, that would be interesting on the ice rod... Are you heading to Yuba, or hoping for one out of Utah Lake? Good Luck... J

I have a few friends that got them out of Utah Lake.
Good luck, that will be a good challenge, but sounds like you may have some mentors that can help you flatten the curve to success... Good luck getting one this year... Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
I have been looking for a set of insulated non floating bibs and finally bought a pair of Strikemaster Battle bibs at Scheels. Still cost a leg but as long as I got two good arms, I’m set!

At the risk of highjacking my own thread, I’m hoping to get to Flaming Gorge at least three times this winter, currently penciled in for late December, January before the burbot bash, and mid-late February. Love to camp on the ice, chasing laker pups in the light hours and burbot at night. I’d also like to catch some more pike, walleye, etc. really almost anything except planter rainbows. May hit the Uintas this weekend to see what’s what.

jack of all tackle, master of none
Looking at the weather report, you’ll probably see ice. Whether it’s thick enough will be kind of risky for sure. They are predicting 16 degrees for Cache Valley so I’ll bet you’ll be single digits up high. Do you think the lake temps are low enough so a couple days of cold will make ice? Seems like it’s been very warm around here so I figure it will take awhile to freeze, but that’s going to be pretty cold. Good luck and stay safe. Later J
(10-24-2023, 04:19 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Looking at the weather report, you’ll probably see ice. Whether it’s thick enough will be kind of risky for sure. They are predicting 16 degrees for Cache Valley so I’ll bet you’ll be single digits up high. Do you think the lake temps are low enough so a couple days of cold will make ice?  Seems like it’s been very warm around here so I figure it will take awhile to freeze, but that’s going to be pretty cold. Good luck and stay safe. Later J

Yeah, I'm thinking a shallower/shadier lake may make ice by then, but I am not going to take any risks. May end up just doing some fall fishing in those lakes instead. I haven't done my annual hike-in trip and this may be the last opportunity for that.

I'm looking to upgrade a couple of my ice rods and reels. A new larger hub shelter would be nice too.
I posted a used Nils 8" convertible auger in the For Sale In Utah forum. Trying to downsize my fleet of "just-in-case" stuff...

Speaking of rods, I have always chuckled at guys using those teensy "ice rods" out on the open ice. They were invented for use in ice shacks and tents where there's damn little room. If you fish sitting on a bucket out in the open, there's zero need to handicap yourself with one of those rods. It IS smart to use special ice line, however. Just fill a spare spool and use your regular ultralight rod.

I too have given up ice fishing; sold all my gear a couple years ago. Good thing, as trying to slip slide around on this gimpy leg would now be out of the question anyway.
(11-25-2023, 04:34 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: Speaking of rods, I have always chuckled at guys using those teensy "ice rods" out on the open ice. They were invented for use in ice shacks and tents where there's damn little room. If you fish sitting on a bucket out in the open, there's zero need to handicap yourself with one of those rods. It IS smart to use special ice line, however. Just fill a spare spool and use your regular ultralight rod.

I too have given up ice fishing; sold all my gear a couple years ago. Good thing, as trying to slip slide around on this gimpy leg would now be out of the question anyway.

Rocky, having used both long and short rods, I find that a nice 32-40" rod is optimal for fishing from the ice hole depending on species I'm after... A regular length pole (6-7') has you too far away from the fish when you have to help it through the hole, so you need a shorter rod to keep you where the action is... I do have to fish a shorter rod when I'm in the tent, (24-26") but on the open ice, I like what you probably still think is a teensy one, but when you have to be able to see micro nibbles you don't want to be fishing with a 2X4.... So I'll still vote for the shorties whether in the tent or on the open ice... Later Jeff

Oh PS.... I have to modify my earlier "not going to buy anything new" statement.... I should stay away from Matt this time of year... Matt showed me a great price on the Piscafun 4 man copy of the Eskimo 450 open door tent... It was on Amazon for $236, it's usually a $450 tent.  Since I was looking for a 949i, this gave me the new style tent for less than the old style 949 and it's insulated... Plus Matt showed me how they are connecting these to the X-200's and making room for gear and a lot of folks in the same tent... Makes it so if I fish with company we can spread out but still be close enough to BS.... But now I'll have to be looking for the side door skin for my X-200 so I can connect the two... That one will have to wait for another year... J