Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Underwater camera?
In the summer time I can maybe see about 18-24 inches at Strawberry. In the winter time, at Strawberry, I can see about 8 to 10 feet. At Bear Lake I estimate that I can see about 15 - 20 feet. I have an older style AquaVu with an infra-red light that can be turned on or off.
[signature]
What exactly does the infra red light do? And do you use it very often?
[signature]
[black]From the AquaVu site:[/black]
[black][/black]
[black]"Infrared is a non-visible light and is meant for dawn/dusk/deeper water. Spectral Response is much more intense and a better choice for anglers that will use their camera after dark, along with dawn/dusk/deep water."[/black]

When I use my camera (which isn't very often) I will switch back and forth and see which one works the best. Sometimes the infrared will make it look like headlights in a snowstorm, so I turn it off, and other times it helps give a brighter picture. Many cameras always have it turned on, I prefer having the choice.
[black][/black]
[black][/black]
[signature]
Here are a couple AquaVu videos for your viewing pleasure:

Walleye:

[url "http://www.fishingwithkeith.com/walleye1.html"]http://www.fishingwithkeith.com/walleye1.html[/url]

A massive school of drum (are sheepheads and drums the same fish?) with a wiper (although I didn't try to find the wiper):

[url "http://www.fishingwithkeith.com/sheepheadwiper.html"]http://www.fishingwithkeith.com/sheepheadwiper.html[/url]
[signature]
THEY ARE FUN BUT YOU WILL FIND YOUR SELF WATCHING IT MOORE THAN THE ROD TIP. BUT IT IS WAY COOL TO HEAR THE ALARM ON THE FISH FINDER THEN SEE IT COME TO INSPECT AND ATACK THE OFFERING. OR WHEN THE BITE IS MISSED TO WATCH HOW FAST THEY TURN AND ATTACK AGAIN. THE BEST THING WITH CAMERAS IS THE FACTED YOU CAN GRAFF FISH AND THEN DROP TO SEE IF THEY ARE WHAT YOU WANT TO CATCH.
[signature]
You were right Ken, I did spend a lot of time looking at the camera but it also helped me catch the fish. It was strange how many times the fish would come threw with their mouths open and bump the jig but not take it into their mouths. I had it down to forty three feet and could see clearly but I'm sure that would not be the case in murky water.
[signature]
Curt, now that you have found out that camera works, I have to admit you got a steal!
[signature]
I know what you mean about a good deal, it was the only reason I could afford it. I had my doubts about it when I bought it but I'm happy with it now, now if it will just last for the long term.
[signature]
I just watched the Walleye video. That is really Kewl. I need to get one of those guys!

"All I want for Christmas is a fish cam-er-a ....."
[signature]
[reply]
Sometimes the infrafed will make it look like headlights in a snowstorm,
[black][/black] [/reply]

Agree'd!
I was able to test drive one at FG last Friday through the ice and when the light was turned on after sun down I'd just a well not been using it due to the snow storm in the head lights effect. But, durning day light hours it was sweet!
[signature]
Did you see the two perch in the walleye video? Either they are some huge perch or those are some small eyes. I can't wait to try the camera on walleye, so many fish to watch, so little time, whats a fishermen to do.
[signature]
Harbor Freight in SLC had three of these today at the sales price of $99.99. Now they only have two left! If you go in to purchase one you must have a sales associate get one out of the more-or-less secure storage area on the northeast corner of the store. I am extremely impressed with the set up even down to the nylon carrying case.
[signature]
Here is information on the underwater camera and one can purchase it online here ($8.99 shipping charge):

[url "http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=91309"]Click here for link:[/url]
[signature]
hey curt i just picked up one of those bad boy camera's today on my way home from fishing. i cant wait till next weekend to try it out. the kids like playing with it,
[signature]
They also have those same camera in black and white and color for a good price.
[signature]
I think you will like it, we were using mine at BL yesterday and it works great down to 65ft, but the water is very clear up there. I've also used it twice at Causey and it sure helps catching fish.
[signature]
nothing like a hook up on camera! verry exciting. i felt like a little kid on x-mas morning with a new tonka. those cameras open up a whole new way of fishing. i love watching the way fish react to my jig. i dig that curious look on their face as thier making up thier mind wheather they want to eat it or not. no more wondering what the fishies think of my offering. now i can just sit there and watch them. knowlege is power my friend, and if you can know for a fact just how the fish are reacting to your offering, without getting a bite, it doesn't take long to make the proper adjustments to land 'em. laters.

everyone likes pics, so here is a few of our last outing to the berry.
[signature]
[size 2][font "Comic Sans MS"][black]Man, that is some serious ice fishing there fencekid. Do you camp over night in that mini-city?[/black][/font][/size]
[signature]
haven't spent the night yet. we usually set up camp in the snowmobile headlights just before dawn, and fish till sundown, but after that tasty post about night fishing the berry, i just got to check it out. maybe next weekend. anyone know how the moon situation will be like in a week?
[signature]
curt i tried mine out last friday. it worked for about 20 min and then the screen fuzzed out. when i got home i found it had water in the camera lens so i took it back and got my money back
[signature]