Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quality, or numbers?
While growing up as a kid, I had the oppertunity to spend many days fishing the lakes, Rivers and streams that Big, Wonderful Wyoming had to offer. I caught hundreds of fish over the years up there and have wonderful memories to cherish.

I still enjoy going out and catching fish, whatever species, rather it be trolling or Jigging from my boat, Casting a fly on a river or stream, Even sneeaking up on a beaver dam with a fly rod, being careful not to spook the fish lying there in the Shallows waiting for their next meal. casting the shores of lake powell for the many diffrent species that lurk there.

Its not about the catch to me any more. Its the oppertunity to go out in this beautiful country that we have, share it with friends and family and fish more than catch. I get as much fun out of watching my children catch fish like I did when I was their age.

I would much rather catch the larger, smarter experinced fish then to one right after another the small ones. Yes that gets old after awhile

It used to be numbers with me, now its Quality
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]So does that mean you can a least go to 10?[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
[black][size 3]No - 12. I've been eating the fish from Utah Lake for quite some time now.[/size][/black]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]LOL![/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
LMAO... That was good! [cool]
[signature]
even if i take my shoes off i can still only count to 18[Tongue]
[signature]
Since I am sitting at my desk at work as I type this, I just wish I was out fishing......anywhere.....for anything[unsure].

However, super topic. I can relate at some level to just about every opinion that has been written so far. I do get excited to catch almost any fish, but as I get older, I do tend to seek out quality more. The bottom line however for me is that every trip is a chance to clear my brain and relax. I find that I can do that equally well catching small brookies in the high country, floating Jordanelle for trophy smallies, dueling with Strawberry cutts, ice fishing, or taking my daughter out to a put-n-take pond. I also find that variety is the spice of life and fishing for different species, with different methods, at different times enhances my enjoyment.

In regards to counting, I used to be a notorious counter. However, I guess that I have gone through the "stages" that TD mentioned. I now tend to lose count after 10 (or 12) like Fishound does. My wife would argue that I am not going through a progression or stage, but am a young Alzheimers patient. (esp when I "forget" about the Honey do list)[blush]
[signature]
LOL DGF... Sounds just like me! [Tongue]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"]"If you catch 32 fish and some one else catches 31, do you wear two and count theirs too?"[/font]

Nope, I have more than one counter and they can borrow one if they like. I use how many quality fish others catch compared to me as a barometer of how good of an angler I am and as a challenge for me to improve. That is why it is an extremely rare fishing trip that I don't try something new that I have never tried before. I will sometimes give them a hard time, but it is all in good fun.
[signature]
I will take any fishing i can get. Sometimes i like to target huge fish or a "special" fish, but i am not above catching 3" bluegill with my fly rod or my 6'6" ugly stick. If i catch 100 fish in a day then i had fun and my arms are tired, if i catch one tiger musky i had a fun day and my arms are tired. All the same to me.
[signature]
Personally i like to do both depending on the circumstances and places were i am fishing.At powell forget about it its the quantity. If i was at the berry it would be the size. If i was with my kids or nephews it would be quantity again.[Smile]
[signature]
Even though I do try to keep track of the numbers of fish caught, I get just as much satisfaction, and maybe even more, when targetting a certain species of fish in a certain body of water, and spending all day to catch just one!
For example, I get just as much of a buzz catching one Tiger Muskie at Pineview casting my arm off the whole day as I do catching 40 cutthroats at Strawberry. I keep a log of each fishing trip, what waters, general conditions, each species and how many of each species were caught. I try to catch as many different species each year as I can. The biggest thing for me is when I'm fishing, I'm not at work. I enjoy my time off!
Randy
[signature]
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.

The question I've always wanted to pose is: If you were the only human on the planet, and had everything you had now in terms of fishing equip., and had all the food you ever needed, would you still go fishing? Would you go if there was absolutely nobody else to show and tell? [/reply]

[#ff0000]Absolutely. All day almost every day! No question.
[/#ff0000]
I'm just fascinated by fish, what triggers them, what they look like, how they jump, how the big ones are shaped differentlt than the smaller ones, the maginificent colors most of them have..... And why I can't outsmart them most of the time. There is just soooo much to learn about every species.
[signature]
[black][size 3]Rut Roh petty, [shocked][/size][/black]
[black][size 3][/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Now I'm embarrassed.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Just how long have you been eating those Utah Lake fillets ? [unsure][/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Didn't anyone ever tell you not to handle the fish too much ? Maybe, You should get some of those kevlar filleting gloves. Personally, I been thinking of getting some of those special heavy duty HAZMAT mittens for fishing down there - especially at the bubble up.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Oh yeah that's right, you live up yonder north a long ways from Utah Lake. Have you been muskey chumming with your toes at Pineview ? [Tongue][/size][/black]
[signature]
For me it is all about being on the water. I love to fish for panfish more than anything but I love to try the challenge of Willard for wipers and eyes. My best day has been 2 of each and a couple cats. When I am with the wife and kids it is all about numbers. I love to fish Utah Lake for cats just for the fight but I can fish for perch or blue gills at Mantua all day as well. I do keep track of big fish and numbers too but not with a counter. One of my most memorable trips was ice fishing in Montana where I caught 23 trout through the ice in one day compared to the 15 between my dad, cousin and uncle. My dad and I are very competitive against each other when it comes to fishing. Another of my most memorable trips is the last time I saw my grandfather alive and we were fishing for crappie and my wife and I spent the day baiting my grandparents hooks with minnows so they could catch fish. I have had days of close to 200 fish in Wyoming for crappies but I continued to try new methods to catch them. If I am by myself I normally stick to bigger fish or targeting just certain species but with friends, kids and first time fisherman I normally go for numbers. Right now I just wish I could fish for anything but have to wait until I return to the states for that. Enjoy your fishing no matter what your idea of a perfect day is. Chad
[signature]
nope born with only 8 toes and im not from utah
[signature]
[size 2]Hello CF,
Great thread, just thought I'd throw my 2 cents. I love it all, action, big fish and particularly now I enjoy catching fish I have always wanted to but haven't caught (species diversification).[/size]
[signature]
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

TheAngler BFT Moderator
Mike: Did you ever get that tarpon you were after when you went to Fla.?
[signature]
Hello Jim,
Not yet, the time I spoke with you I had to change my plans and didn't end up going to Florida. I have been a few times since and although I have had some great fishing there, the timing hasn't been good for tarpon. Here's some pics out of Cocoa Beach

[url "http://www.captbobfishing.com/gallery/central-florida-fishing/DSC00618"][Image: DSC00618.thumb.jpg][/url] [Image: pixel_trans.gif] [url "http://www.captbobfishing.com/gallery/central-florida-fishing/DSC00631"][Image: DSC00631.thumb.jpg][/url] [Image: pixel_trans.gif][url "http://www.captbobfishing.com/gallery/central-florida-fishing/DSC00629"][Image: DSC00629.thumb.jpg][/url] [Image: pixel_trans.gif]

Are you going to be in Florida for Tarpon season this year? If so what's the best time to go and do you have any open spots?
[signature]
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

TheAngler BFT Moderator
Great responses everyone.
As I'd hoped, this thread has taken a few side steps, twists and turns, and humor found its way in. Great stuff, and thanks Fishhound for allow yourself to be a target from time to time, LMAO!
I believe everyones responses have given all of us who has read them some insight into what each of us find so appealing about our sport of fishin'. And I have to say I feel our ol' sage and buddy Pat/TD summed it up very well when he mentioned "fisherpersons go through several stages". Whats more allow me to add I feel fishing is like life in that we all find our own nitch/"comfort zone" and tend to play within those boundaries. "Its all Good"..
Our ol' sage has installed a new interest in me where my interest in fishing is concerned, and I must say I've never enjoyed the sport more than I do at this time. Creating and catchin' fish on my own creations, is for me, like starting all over again. For example, I have yet to catch a Crappie on a creation of my own so when the time comes I do it will be my new trophy size slab, be it 3 inches long or 12.. So a huge thanks goes out to my friend for sparking a entire new love of the sport within me because my flame/love of the sport was dimming fast.... Now however, I've had a sucessful day of fish even while working on tackle..
As some are aware, I've recently had health problems. And one thing I can assure each of you, to walk with death will proved a person an entire new respect for the everyday things around you and life in general. As I've said, I tend to be a head hunter when it comes to fishing but thats merely the "stage" I'm in at this time. And I will admit that I reached that stage many moons ago and it remains my "comfort zone"... However, this is not to say I dont find I've had a seccessful day of fishing if I didnt have a pickup by some prospective "Wall Hanger". The fact is, merely getting out and enjoy what mother nature can proved me is a success for me, shunked or otherwise, and its been so for many a moon. For instance, my bestest fishin' buddy and I rode out to LB yesterday for a couple hours in the late afternoon. And while I ended up skunked I had a good time just getting out in the fresh air. See on the 2'nd of Oct. I went through a second brain surgery within the past 6 months. And yesterday provided my first chance to go fishing since the repeat surgery.. Besides, if I'd actually hooked something I might have had to touch the icky little creature. So all in all, I had a great time smellin' mildly skunky leaving LB, LOL!!

Thanks to everyone who has or may take part in this thread... Its all good...
[signature]