Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Remote troll???
have you had any problems with dirt or dust getting in the track? does this cause it to malfunction in any way? also, this is completely wireless right? do the remote batteries last a long time?

is this the one you have? [url "http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat21276-cat21322&id=0044889014744a&navCount=3&podId=0044889&parentId=cat21322&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IH&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat21322&hasJS=true"]http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat21276-cat21322&id=0044889014744a&navCount=3&podId=0044889&parentId=cat21322&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IH&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat21322&hasJS=true[/url]

the review on there doesnt seem to favorable. what do you think bodine? have you had yours a long time? any problems?

thanks, bkidder
[signature]
I've had this unit for 4 years and have had 0 problems. Dust hasn't ever been a problem but I very seldom see a dirt road pulling the boat. I have a dual battery set up with a seperation switch. The only thing I run on the main engine battery is this remote troll and my CD player/radio. It has never run the battery down to the point the main engine wouldn't start even after 10 hours of use. The other one runs downriggers fish finder ect. I also lube the slide at least 4 times a year. This is a very fast and smooth operating machine. It doesn't jerk at all. Plus when you look at the unit the track is pretty much enclosed in the housing. It isn't wireless it has a 25 foot cable with two push buttons to move it back and forth. I just run the cable under the side ledge of the boat and coil it up between the front seats when not in use. There is plenty of cable to reach back when using it without having it strung all over. I read the review that you mentioned. Maybe it was installed wrong or he just got a lemon. Me I give it 5 stars all the way. Hope this helps.

Bodine
[signature]
Check out the Troll Daddy which is also gear driven. It also sells at Cabela's. It comes with both wireless and has a cable control just in case you lose the remote.
[signature]
If by any means you are still interested in the remote troll i would check ebay. We purchased one last year for $220. It had only been used twice. But make sure with the remote troll you get the swimdeck mount model the RT-75 compact.

Here is the link
[url "http://www.remotetroll.com/Orders/products.asp"]http://www.remotetroll.com/Orders/products.asp[/url]

Casey
[signature]
I have used a remote troll (Brand name = Remote Troll {not a Panther immitation}) Link is: www.remotetroll.com
on my friend's boat who guides on Bear Lake. We've had it in some absolutely terrible conditions, freezing, icing, etc. It has never gave us any problems. The new Remote Troll units that I saw at the Sportsman's Expo booth last week have even got better. They went from a cable driven system to a ram driven system which is supposed to be even more powerful/fail proof. We used a 15hp long shaft for the kicker and the cable unit had plenty of power even under extremely windy conditions. If it were me buying a new remote steering unit I would think it is definitely worth the extra money to go with the Remote Troll brand versus any immitators. (and no I don't work for Remote Troll or get any kickbacks from them!) LOL Check out the webpages and do some comparisons for yourself.
[signature]
I realize you have already received several "Yes" votes, but I just wanted to add mine. On my previous boat I had the ability to steer with trolling outboard with a steering rod that attached to my main outboard. It worked ok; however, I was tied to the steering wheel, which of course is a long ways from where I am trolling. My new-to-me boat came with a cable Remote Troll and I really enjoy the freedom of steering from virtually anywhere in the boat. I would enjoy it even more if it were wireless, like my electric trolling motor.
[signature]