Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why can't you use live minnows in UT?
[cool][#0000ff]Good point, about the gizzard shad. The only reason they have them in Willard is that it is a "closed system", with no outlet into any other viable water system in which they could cause harm...theoretically. Howsomever, word is that they are all over in the marshes and up into the Bear River waterways. Hmmmmm? Next they will run upstream, leap a couple of dams and find their way into Bear Lake. Can you say mack chowder?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The way some of the regulations are worded is indicative of at least borderline paranoia. You almost get the impression that it is worth setting up a checkpoint for all persons entering and leaving the Willard Bay area to make sure they are not carrying contraband shad. Forget illegal migrants and terrorists. Lets stop those shad.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]And, anyway, I don't know how anybody can stand the smell of those nasty things enough to want to handle them and use them for bait. The last batch I ground up for chum just about gagged me. (Joke)[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I guess we both better watch out for CIA or FBI vehicles to show up outside our house.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I have never complained about the Perch in Mantua and have never fished any of the other lakes you have mentioned. As for the perch in Mantua from what I have seen in the 3 years I have been fishing it the quality of all fish has improved. If you are talking about the trout being affected that lake is to shallow to really be a good trout lake in the first place. The first winter I fished up there I caught numerous trout that were covered in little tiny black parasitic worms. Haven't seen any since. Not sure why and what effect the perch had on this. All I know is any trout or bass I have caught and kept up there have been loaded with baby perch and bluegill in about equal numbers. I know for me the bluegill fishing has seemed to get better and better each year. But I am not a fisheries bioligist yet, but from what I have seen if anything the perch have been a good thing for Mantua.
[signature]
I don't see people using live minnows in the water they were caught in as a problem, but it wouldn't stop there for the 2% that don't care. They see laws as nothing but a way to be sneakier to not get caught, soon those red sided shiners they caught in Scofield are being used in other streams and lakes throughout Utah.
[signature]