Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah Lake. IT HAS BEGUN!
I never said all law officers are bad. We obviously need them out there and they do a lot more good then harm. Guess I'm pissed more at the system then anything but I've run into some real jerks.... and some perfect gentlemen in uniform too. I guess I'm gonna have to get more involved in the system and try to get some representatives to hear my concerns. Maybe a lot of police men are just as pissed at the system as I am, but they go to work knowing that there has to be order or there will be chaos. Sorry Geezer.
[signature]
No harm, no foul. It hasn't been that long ago that I told an officer I'd love a chance to kick his cocky a--.
[signature]
[quote cpierce]Sorry, but this is really bizarre to me. (I live in Idaho and sometimes fish in Utah.) Because a FEW people may not use all of their fish in a timely manner ALL are to be treated the same? That is like saying you can hunt for a deer or elk in Utah, but you can only possess 10 pounds of meat because you might not eat all of the rest quick enough. Sounds ridiculous when it is game meat, but really the theory is the same. If people can be trusted to take care of a hundred pounds of venison what is the difference between that and fish? Both are game.

Don't get me wrong, I fly fish and usually put the trout and bass back, but I do keep a fair, but not excessive, amount of panfish. I love to have a fish fry when my extended family comes to visit. So I have some in my freeze, I am sure it is more than your possession limit, but I have never thrown a single bit of fish out!
I also have some smoked and canned fish - it too is used and not wasted. Does that make me a game waster? Not in my opinion, so I don't see the point of your law. In my opinion Utah sportsmen ought to seek to have it changed, to a more realistic possession limit.[/quote]

Wow, that is great to hear. Wish I could say the same, but been fishing many years.
I C&R totally with one fish a year, but there have been those cases where I really didn't want to keep the fish, but it had died for one reason or another.
I live in Utah and fish Idaho, not because of the limit. I have caught ONE trout that has fed 4 of us.
With all the stuff in trout, not sure I would want to eat more...specially with the mines in Idaho.

I think the limits are just fine, but then again I don't can (and to be honest, that thought doesn't set well on my stomach..LOL - need some one to prove me wrong on that one[laugh])
Smoking, you bet...good stuff.
I don't even have young ones to worry about what they will get in the future...so, I basically go with the flow and pretty happy with it.

By the way, I would read it as UTAH POSSESSION means just that and not where they came from, but as far as Alaska, most go for Salmon and Steel plus other species, which there really isn't a limit due to the fact they aren't in Utah. Just like my Texas Red Snapper[laugh]
[signature]
Oh I forgot about the Koke...LOL But too much Koke kills[laugh][laugh][laugh]
[signature]
I would think the same rules apply no matter the condition of the fish. What about slot limits? Say I'm fishing for Walleye and keep a 26" fish. Its my only fish, so I can still try for more under the slot. Then I catch a big 29" eye and its hooked in the gills. It will die, no doubt. I still have to release it.
Thats the way it is. Good, bad, right or wrong its still the law.
[signature]
You wrote;
I could be wrong, but I'm thinking they don't get bonuses for writing tickets, and especially not bogus tickets.

You do know that cops get paid extra to show up for court right? So in reality, they do get paid extra for writing bogus tickets. I had a sherrif around home that hated me. We were enemies in high school and it continued on well after graduation. He pulled me over one time when I was heading out to the desert to go camping. Found a pill bottle in my truck with a couple different kinds of pills and took me to jail. It was my first aid medical supplies. Some aspirin, Benadryl, Advil and vitamin C.
I called the cops one time. Neighbor shot out a bunch of windows in the shop behind my house with a BB gun. That was last year and they still havent done anything. Even the glass guy showed me and the police exactly where the BB'S came from. Neighbors bathroom window. He even said he would testify to that.
Too many cops are in the business for no other reason than the power. There should be some checks and balance in the system and psychological exams to determine who is in it to protect and serve and who is in it for their own personal power trip.
All that said, I have great respect for our officers of the DWR. They have an impossible job with crazy laws. But as far as other law enforcement, its a crap shoot any time you have to deal with them.

You also wrote;
I'm not a cop, or a "fish cop". I know a few, and have encountered my share. Some suck...no question, but think about your own profession and I'm sure you can find similar people there. They are just people like the rest of us. Some people do things better than others.

Thats so true, but most people dont have the power to take you to jail on a whim. And most people dont have a gun to intimidate you.
They need to be held to a higher standard and prove they are worthy of that standard.
[signature]
On the Idaho board last fall this topic of possession limits in Idaho was discussed. The clarification was from a F&G officer who said that possession limit only applyed in the field and ended only when the fish got to your house.
[signature]
i thought this was a post about Utah Lake walleye fishing lol. good thoughts all around [sly]
[signature]
[quote FishingGuy]I catch and release too, but possestion limit has me thinking. What if you have caught and kept your limit and you continue to fish? Say you are releasing them, but one dies while you are trying to release it. Do you have to throw it back dead?[/quote]

We discussed this also. You can continue to fish C&R if you have your limit, but I agree that there could be that fatality....such a waste.
Maybe catch one less limit in case, or I use to flat out quit if I decided to keep my limit.

WALLEYE?????? Seriously.....Boy did this post stray!!!!

[Image: ThreadHiJack.png]
[signature]