Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favorite Tips, Tricks, Tackle, Tools, Techniques, and lessons learned of 2008
When perch or trout are in deeper water (20+ feet), biting light, on the bottom and small lures are needed, I tie (through the eye) a dangling 4 inch piece of line from my bottom jig. Attached to the end of the dangling line is a split shot. The size of the split shot may vary based on depth.

This rig allows the bait to quickly sink, you can "feel" the bottom by raising the rod tip until you feel the split shot lift, and the jig (or multiple jigs) are in the strike zone. Most thumps on the line are readily felt.

Since my experience is that perch come through in bunches and then nothing, it pays to get the bait back down quickly when there is action and this rig is one way to do that.
[signature]
They sell those little ice grabbers at Sportsman's and Cabelas. They have a spike in one end and a tether that can hang around your neck in case you take the cold plunge... [shocked]
[signature]
ok here are a few. 1 pause longer between lifts. i look around every time i go and watch this happening. slow down.. 15 to 20 second hold beetween lifts gets way moore hits. 2nd would be down jigging. most work jigs upward, try working 1 downward after a missed hit its a killer on suspended fish. i do this moore than upward. drop to bottom set pole down real up 1 to 4 inches. when a fish moves in push the tip downward a litle and let it spring back,get hand on handle asap. [Wink]
[signature]
Just a couple tricks that have helped me with the perchies.

1. When you hook your first perch, don't bring it in. Let it swim around for a while. Its struggles will attract half the perch anywhere in the area. 'Course at Pineview or Yuba you'll risk losing the whole shebang if there's a tiger or pike around.

2. It seems to me that I get a lot more bites when I let my jig hit the bottom every once in a while and then just barely lift it off the bottom. Immediately after it clears the bottom ya gotta be ready for that little teeney "tap tap".
[signature]
Down riggers, RMT, and Pro Cure all helped me catch Kokanee this past summer! It was really fun and tasty! Thank you, for all the tips from you Kokanee fisherman, and everyone else on this board! I have learned alot!
[signature]
Quote:But me-I just lie and double whatever I have caught for the day and call it good.

Great tip - duly noted![:p][Wink]
[signature]