Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hear Ye, Hear Ye, Hear Ye. Disabled Veterans Fishing Event News
I need some help on what to use, I dont fish for trout. I am going to hit Cabela's and Sportsmans tomorrow (friday) with what I need to buy... I expect some trolling and jigging/tubes. what size of hooks and stuff do I need to get???
[signature]
I troll almost exclusively with hammered silver/gold, four blade pop gear, about a 24" leader of low vis green mono in 6 or 8 lb test and a #2 or #4 worm hook. I thread a worm up the hook so that it appears to be going through the water like a snake rather than wacky rigging it. You can use any type of terminal gear though, like rapalas.

With the weather as warm as it has been you will need to troll deep, about 25 to 40 feet depending on the areas. I sometimes add an ounce of weight to the rudder on the front of the pop gear and troll back of the boat 150' or I use downriggers to get to the right depth. You want to troll SLOW for trout about 1 mph, faster for Kokanee, about 2.0 mph

Hope this helps. I don't do much jigging so maybe somoene else can help you there.
[signature]
[#008000]Here are some photos of the things I use at strawberry for jigging:[/#008000]
[#008000][/#008000]
[#0060bf][size 4][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/Utah_Fishing_Forum_C55/Utah_Fishing_General_F58/gforum.cgi?post=362002;search_string=%22strawberry%20box%22;#362002"]LINK[/url][/size][/#0060bf]
[#0060bf][size 4][/size][/#0060bf]
[#008000]The 3 " tubes in pearl, salt and pepper or whitish seem to be pretty consistant producers. Generally, I use a 1/4 or 3/8 oz. jig.[/#008000]
[signature]
My plan is to start out jigging & if that ain't doin' it, we'll troll. If that fails we'll go to flatline drifting the good ol' reliable garden hackle.
[signature]
Thanks Chuck, I printed those pics in color and will be getting some of that stuff..... Thanks all three of you for the advice.....
[signature]
I hope this weather doesn't screw things up. I'm no fan of lightning!
[signature]
I am also worried about that, weather looks like it might have some bad weather for the day... I guess we make the decision there at the marina saturday morning before 7am....
[signature]
Its going to be cloudy according to the weather reports maybe some rain but what do those clowns know about the weather anyway? Worse case stay close to the marina and fish .
[signature]
I was up there this morning fishing with Dubob, we did have to wait for an hour or so before the lighting let up but most of the time the weather wasn't too bad. I've been up at the Berry twice this week and the best catching by far has been jigging or drifting with bait. We were using chub, carp and redside minnows. When we ran out of the minnows we used cut up sucker meat. Monday we caught around thirty including two kokes trolling and jigging on the berry side. Today we caught 6 or 7 including two kokes and all we did was troll. We caught two bows on the Soldier creek side then moved over to the Berry side and caught the rest. The berry side is the best side to fish from what I could see. I stopped by the Hub in Heber to see if they had any minnows but they were out, they did say they would try and have some in by Sat morning. The marina store at Soldier creek has a good supply of minnow but they are priced high at $4 a dozen and they did not look like a dozen, more like 8 to 10. Anyway, we will see you guys up there, I hope this info helps.
[signature]
Pearl with a little silver fleck works very well. Buy the 3/8oz. lead head so its easier to stay on the bottom.
[signature]