Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Hand Auger???
I am looking forward to ice season, but last year my auger was so hard to use. I replaced the blades and that temporarily eased the process, but now I am looking to buy a new hand auger. Dont have quite enough for a gas powered one. Does anyone have suggestions on what type I should purchase. My last one was one from sportsmans warehouse and was red in color, I have forgotten the brand. Just looking for somethign better now.

Thanks!
[signature]
If you only want to buy one hand auger for the rest of your life. Try a Nils. I have a 6" easy and fast for a hand auger.
[signature]
You have an Eskimo.
A better brand would be Strikemaster or Nils.
Both will cost a lot more but are probably worth it.
You may also want to think about going down a size and get a 6" auger.
They are a lot easier to drill.
[signature]
I've owned a few different augers over the years. Last year I bought a 7" Strikemaster Lazer, and it is the cats meow!

Best auger I've used, but I haven't tried the Nils.
[signature]
I sprung for the 8" Nils last year...ordered it online to be shipped to Cabela's. I love it! I would highly recommend it. Did lots of late season fishing drilling through 18"+ and I still didn't hesitate to drill another hole when it was time to move.
[signature]
Love my 7" Strikemaster. IMO best hand auger out there, but I've never tried the Nils either.
[signature]
just dont buy an Eskimo unless you want to have reconstructive shoulder surgery...lol

Wana buy mine.....hahaha

That is what they sell at sportsmans that is red in color. I am very unsatisfied. Id rather use my finger nails to scrape through the ice....
[signature]
The one with the sharpest blades....
Its all about your blades... Keep them sharp
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#000000]Another vote for the 7" Strikemaster Laser[/#000000][/font]
[signature]
Got a Nils last year and absolutely love it! I would highly recommend a Nils.
[signature]
the best one i have found was one that ya pull start and punch holes in half the time and with little expance of enargy.. lol the best addvice i can give ya is save up and get a gas auger. save your self and make ice fishing much more enjoyable for your self! [crazy]
[signature]
Ron buddy, I gotta disagree in part at least until late January and into February where a gas auger is a must.

I can drill no problem at all with my Strikemaster. Pretty easily in fact. It's only when it gets to be a good 10+ that I'm wishing for a gas auger! - it's all about the blades like somebody in here suggested.
[signature]
well i have found that a ice bar for ice up to 6 to 8 inchs work best.. after that the gas auger does it up fast.. i have had a hand auger for years.. and did not think it was so bad.. that was tell i tryed a real auger and would never go back to a hand auger.. [crazy]
[signature]
If numbers matter to you - then I'll add one more vote for the Strikemaster and another negative for the Eskimo.

My bro got the latter, and after a year he got one like mine. I've used it two years now and I can still get thru 4"-6" before a gas one has its engine running. Though when it's late in the season and I have to drill thru 18+", it does provide exercise for me and my son. And if it's a group that's coming with me, I try to get someone with a power version to come along. [cool]
[signature]
you would be happy with the lasar auger..if you want to spend a little more.nills is the best..but they exspesive...the laser probly best for the amount
[signature]