Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windriver Report
Just got back from a five day backpacking trip into the Windriver Wilderness area out of the elkheart park trail head. A friend and I hiked into Gorge Lake for our base camp. The fishing was great with a variety of flies. I packed in a float tube waders and fins. Fun fishing but a real pain in weight when it came time to come out of the "Gorge." We also took a day trip into Suicide Lake. The river in between the Gorge and Suicide was really high, but we managed to find fish in the pockets behind rocks and in the bends. There is nothing like seeing a trout fight its way up stream through clear water to get to the fly. The Mosquitoes at that elevation were terrible. I spraid every inch of skin that I could but they found my eyeballs and inner ear. I have never gone to the Windriver area and had a bad time. So I do not know why I am so surprised at the scenery and fishing every year. Does anyone else hike or horsepack the Windrivers?
[signature]
The windies!!! I love the windies. I have only been up there twice, first time went to Donald Lake from the Big Sandy trail head. Great trip!!! But nothing compares to the trip I took into the cirque of the Towers. There isnt enough adjectives to describe the views as you pass up over Jack ass pass!!! Did a little fishing while I was there, but for the 5 days I was there I was completely captivated by the granite spears surrrounding me!!! I will have to try and post some picts of that trip. one of the best vacations I have ever been on. But definitely some work to take a 65 lb pack over the continental divide [cool]. I really want to get back up there asap!!!!
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]When I was a kid, until the age of about 20, I use to go to Lake Victor EVERY summer. I love those lakes useing a fly/bubble or a rooster tail.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]I wouldn't dare try it now without a horse. But the pressous memories will never escape me.[/size][/font]
[signature]