Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is this Ice Safe?
very good point spud bar, ice spiks, a PFD and a rope are standerd equipment i cary with me as well..
but going on the ice is always a chance knowing what to look for and the way ice works can save the day and maybe even your life..
[signature]
Fuzzy Fisher I was on Nine Mile and PaliSades on Sunday and I did not have one problem until today. You might think I don't have brass. The brass I am use to comes out of M2 50 Cal after I have got rid of a threat. To me that ice was not safe. IS THIS ICE SAFE was a title and thought it would be a laugh cause I fell through to my knees. You have taught me a lot and I thank you for it. One thing though If you would have fallen through to your knees would you stay out there when your wet and cold? Are you from around that area? If so we need to go fishing together so you can teach me more.
[signature]
yes i am from the area.. i live in Mt Pleasant. i fish both lakes off and on all year.. i try and keep the one off the open forum as much as i can tho.. [crazy]..

and yes even with a boot full of water i would have stayed and fished.. [sly] only becouse i was on it on 5 day's ago and it was close to 8 inchs think and hard ice.. and i did go to my knees in the water there that day getting on down by the dam.. but i went fast and did not get water in the boots.. it took some brass to take that next step out it will ether hold you or your going to have 2 boots full of ice water.. thats ice fishing in a nutshell..

you got a 50 Cal? lucky S.O.B the best i did was careying a m 60 and a m 203 around.. great job my friend.. !!

we should get together and do some fishing..
[signature]
After reading over all the posts all I have to do is sit back and laugh.
[signature]
You must know my mother well if you are calling me an S.O.B!!! LOL[laugh]
[signature]
[quote LIL_FISH]After reading over all the posts all I have to do is sit back and laugh.[/quote]

Great thread folkses. Caught it late, but quite entertaining. And as a virgin ice fisher - it's all great info. I've seen a few posts about actually falling through, and a couple observations, but not so much about the getting on and off at iffy times. All part of the game I suppose!

And what with 40 degrees (oh carp) today, ummm not good news. Might hafta strap a plank to my roof rack to be ready!

I've heard warning not to wear waders ON ice, but I guess for the getting on, then change - not so bad eh? Interesting. I can see where a Jet Sled, or something with high walls for flotation could be a benefit to getting gear off safe.

Please don't feel slammed, I thought it was an interesting discussion. Lots to be learned by all, and never bad to be humbled, or humble oneself. (yeah, all I gotta do it hit Willard, and I'm there!)
You heard warnings NOT to wear waders on the ice? What was the reason you were given for that advice?

My waders are always on when I'm on the ice. They've saved me from freezing in the -20's after a leg popped through a spring area. Plus, my feet don't get wet at the hole after drilling.

I'd actually feel hesitant to fish without them.
[signature]
i think the warning about waders is... if you go through the ice the waders can fill up with water and pull you down faster..

sure could have used them yesterday getting on yuba tho went to my knees with both legs before getting on the good ice.. lol lucky with my good pack boots and icearmor i did not get much water in the boots so i continued out to the fishing hole.. lol [sly]
[signature]
Quote:i think the warning about waders is... if you go through the ice the waders can fill up with water and pull you down faster..

Which is a wives tale. They make it hard to get out of the water, but they don't "pull" you down or under. Fill a plastic bag, or bucket full of water next time you're at the lake. It doesn't weigh anything in the water, but try to pick it up out of the water and see how much it weighs. Chest waders full of water would be hard to haul out of the water if you stand up and try to walk. But lay down and let the water run out of them and they aren't so bad.

Having a "dry suit" flood while scuba diving is a great way to practice.
[signature]
[quote fuzzyfisher]i think the warning about waders is... if you go through the ice the waders can fill up with water and pull you down faster..[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]That’s kind of an old wives tale. Neoprene chest waders work similar to a diver’s wet suit as the neoprene itself will float and add to your buoyancy. Plus, like a wet suit, the neoprene is a good insulator and will hold in your body generated heat and slow down the onset of hypothermia. And even if wearing a pair of non-neoprene waders, most of them come with a waist belt which when worn properly will trap air in the legs thereby giving you extra flotation. I wear my 5mm neoprene chest waders with 1600 grams of Thinsulate in the boots all the time if the slush monster is present on the ice. They keep me very dry and warm and have the added benefit of allowing dry access to and from the ice when the edges are questionable.[/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
The down side of waders is as mentioned, you probably won't escape the water wearing them. While they don't weigh more while in the water, it's almost impossible to leave the water with them on. Any additional weight makes it more difficult to "swim" back onto the ice.
[signature]
lol i did not say i thought it was true.. just the reasoning behind the warning.. i have seen guy's that were them all the time on the ice and never had a problem.. lol my self i like my ice-aromor and a pair of good pack boots.. and around my wast a o2 PFD.. [shocked][sly]
[signature]