Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
burbot
[cool][#0000ff]Seem there are a lot of fisheries that fall into the category of "good old days". In most cases those fisheries were not as "managed" and the process of natural selection seemed to work fine. The formerly great fisheries that are "used to was" are the ones that have been stocked with aggressive species like smallmouths and/or managed strictly for family harvest fisheries.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]My understanding is the DWR would rather see the big macks reduced or removed from the Gorge, since they now dine heavily on the darling kokes...since the chub crash. Those big predators get very little help from DWR and no protection during spawning time when they are heavily harvested by snaggers. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Producing big browns is also not very high on the DWR priority list. Without the chubs there just isn't a major forage base for browns upon which to get big and fat. Still enough food for them to occasionally exceed the 10 pound mark...but you can find those fish in almost any brown trout venue. We will likely never again see a Utah water producing the monster browns that the Gorge did in the late 70's.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As you say, FG is still a great fishery...for several species. And say what you will about the burbot but I personally do not think they will ever cause the lake any major problems. Sure they are eating the food (crawdads), eggs and young of the other favorite species...but those other species are often turning the tables and dining on little linglets too. It's a whole food chain thing. And there is no denying the whole new gang of burbot bangers who show up just to harvest those camo eels. Great new sport and great eating.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have had exposure to quite a few lakes around the country with populations of burbot. I can't recall anywhere they have so dominated a water that the other species have problems surviving and making a living. They always seem to establish a niche and a self-regulating population. And they are almost always a favorite winter time ice fishing target.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Lots of doom and gloom forecasts for the future of burbot in the Gorge. I guess we can only wait and see whether or not they cause more harm than beneficial contributions. Never good to get an unwanted and prolific new species in a great fishery but maybe it ain't all bad.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Sorry for posting in Utah just wanted to get everybody excited for the bash this weekend
[signature]
Don't worry about him, he is very negetive these days, you are welcome to post any of your fishing reports on the Utah board.
WH2
[signature]
Wow, very cool looking fish. I've been trying to get my buddies to do a night fishing trip, but they are worried about being cold. Thanks for sharing.
[signature]
I like fishing at night no one there place all to yourself you should talk your buddies into going
[signature]