Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fly question
I have been fishing a local pond with my fly rod and catch a few Everytime on Mosquitos and its the only dry I catch them on. I also catch them on a zebra midge but I know I can catch more with a emerger or another nymph. Any suggestions on what fly would work or that you guys have had success with? And what size?
[signature]
try a big stonefly or maybe a green drake or pheasent tail stripped back. for dries try BWO's or renegades
[signature]
I'm moving your post over to the fly fishing forum and let them help you.
[signature]
Hare's ear is my mainstay nymph, caught fish in just about every body of water I've fished with them. I go a little bigger (10-12) in still water, and strip the line in slowly.

Tiny tan, grey, or olive scuds work virtually everywhere/anytime too, if you know where the fish are hanging out.

In the summer I always have a blast on the community ponds with a 14ish PMD dry or emerger. Especially if it's a pond with bluegill, they will hit it hard and all day long and even the tiny ones give a good fight! Not sure if they'd be taking a BWO now or not.

If the majority of the trout look like they are too far out to reach, as is the case with the pond I generally go to, I still find stragglers (often bigger ones!) under the docks, near the weeds, or at the edge of a drop-off. Half the battle is fishing where the fish are.

I think pond fish are somewhat spoiled, especially with all them folks filling the water with Powerbait as soon as the temps hit 60. If I'm not getting hits, I like to try something that looks a bit different, bright colors, lots of contrast (maybe part of why the zebra works well?) or with some sparkle, to make it more compelling.
[signature]
Small leaches have worked well for me. Zebra midges in black with red wire have also produces well.
Damsel Fly nymphs will be a good fly as the weather gets warmer.
[signature]
Agree with Kim, Haresear #12. Also Chironomids under an indicator now.
[signature]
I have had great success with a #14 renegade fished as a dry and as a wet. Better success with a #12 BH Flashback Phesant tail and #12 BH Haresear. Both under a indicator. Olive and black wollybuggers work well also. Good luck[Smile]
[signature]
Really want to have fun, throw a Royal Wulff out and hang on. I have no idea what that represents, but it is awesome.
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]Really want to have fun, throw a Royal Wulff out and hang on. I have no idea what that represents, but it is awesome.[/quote]

+1. I've always got a bunch of oversized (size 6 & 8) Royal wulffs and they do great on still water. They've also worked very well in the past when I couldn't get anything close to what was hatching on a trout stream. On the Beaver river many years ago, I caught about 20 fish in an hour during a small mayfly hatch. I didn't have anything that remotely matched but as soon as I started slapping the water (literally) with a giant RW, they seemed to like it. Not sure why. Bluegill and smaller LMB seem to really like it also.

Matt
[signature]
Love the Royal Wullfs. Could resemble ants.
[signature]