Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
tigers in willard?
Absolutely. I lived in Texas for a few years, and big flatheads taste fine!

Big channel cats can be alright too if you cut the fillets into thinner pieces... (cooks the oil out better). Also bigger channel cats have thick dark red streaks of meat... cut those out too.
[signature]
wow very nice catch. that was a good idea to release. if you kept it and had no pics of where it was caught. there will be some people calling it in saying you caught it out of pineview. and then the wardens would be all over you about it.. it would be like "you caught it out of Willard?" Right. but anyways just my 2 cents. good job on the catch. always good to catch a big fish. Musky or not.. tight lines. PF
[signature]
Yeah the officer I spoke with that did tell me I could have kept it also told me that he hasn't ever heard of one being caught in over twenty or so years I'm just glad we had a camera phone on hand to get the photo
[signature]
I hate to say that the officer, if it was an officer and not a biologist, was wrong, but if it wasn't 40 inches long you would have been in violation of the law. You might not have been cited, but the regs are really quite clear, and black and white.

From the UDWR Fishing Guidebook:
Quote:The following general bag and possession limits apply statewide, except as provided in Rules for specific waters on page 20.

Tiger muskellunge* 1 over 40 inches

Willard Bay Reservoir and inlet channel, Box Elder County
• Limit 10 crappie.
• Limit 6 walleye, only 1 walleye may be over
24 inches.
• Limit 3 wiper.
• Possession of gizzard shad, dead or alive, is
unlawful.

There are no special regs for Tiger Musky in Willard. I would agree that since they didn't plant them in Willard that they don't want them there, and don't care if you keep one that you caught out of there. But the regulations don't read that way.
[signature]
Oh I agree with you 100% I just think it's kind of funny that the officers and the proc all have diffrent views and understandings of the rules even a few other angler out there weren't clear of the rule some said to keep it others said what I said just don't know so thanks again for the clarification
[signature]
Grew up in Michigan where pike, walleye, and musky are plentiful. I have cooked both pike and walleye side by side and majority of folks said the pike tasted just as good or in some cases better. The fact is these three fish feed in a similar manner, lots of live bait...pike have always tasted very good, they do have a "Y" bone structrue you have to learn to fillet out though. Though I have never tasted Musky, I have some buddies that said the taste was also excellent...if you think about it these fish don't sit on the bottom and eat crap, they are hunters who prey off other fish or live bait.
[signature]
What's the diffrence between Y bone structure to other fish structure?
[signature]