Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishing at the Gorge
Kokanee are a far weaker species of fish them a Bass. I watch people catch Kokanee, release them as they are still trolling, a few minutes later an osprey is feeding on it. Just because they swim down doesn't mean they stayed down. Their mortality rate I would guess to be extremely high. It's turned into a pet peeve of mine when I hear people talk about how they caught 35 Kokes, just in the morning. All I hear is you killed a bunch of fish. I catch the boats limit, then move species. Last year I caught the biggest Kokanee I've ever caught after I had my limit, I was trying to catch mac's, it was way deep. I let it go, it swam down, hopefully it lived. I know the odds aren't good however.
[signature]
[quote submoa]I catch the boats limit, then move species.[/quote]

That almost sounds like "party fishing".

I don't doubt that bass handle a lot more rough treatment than the Kokanee.
[signature]
I allow the boats limit to be caught on my boat, which I'm sure you knew what I meant. If not I thought I'd spell that out for you.
[signature]
I thought you should say that "I allow everyone on my boat to catch their limit".
[signature]
Thank you for clarifying how I fish so there is no doubt. I'm assuming every other person on the board knew what I meant with my initial statement.
[signature]
[quote bassrods]About 9:00am we headed over to try for the Cokes again [/quote]
[quote bassrods]When did it close??[/quote]
Ok, so you were not aware of the regs. Not going to try to crucify you for that . . . even though you should have known.

Where the conversation turned 'bad' to me was:
[quote bassrods]Okay closed to the taking..So who said I kept any, and I don't even keep any Kings when I fish in Alaska so why would I keep those..[/quote]

You really ought to brush up on the regs. Not only were you unaware of the closure to protect spawning kokanee (comparing to bass is apples and oranges - there is no closure on bass to protect during spawning), but you fail to understand the breadth of the term "take". What you did was classified as "take" as you intentionally pursued the species.
[quote Utah Fishing Regulations][#211d1e][size 2][#211d1e][size 2]
[#000000][size 3]Take [/size][/#000000][/size][/#211d1e][/size][/#211d1e][#000000]means to hunt, pursue, harass, catch, capture, possess, angle, seine, trap or kill any protected wildlife; or attempt any of the aforementioned actions.
[/#000000][/quote]
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][#0000ff]You misread his post. He was fishing for "Cokes"...not kokes. Classic or diet? Why not Pepsi?
[/#0000ff][/quote]
HaHA thats a good one TD
[signature]
Ethical behavior is judged by the individual doing the fishing, it is not determined by rules and regs or the guy next to you.. Moving to a new species is fine if that is what you feel is the correct thing to do. Continuing to fish on for the same species is legal and each individual makes the ethics call. As long as your not violating the regs we each should lighten up on what the other guy is doing.
The regs allow for bait at Strawberry with a very limited slot, the kill factor is something that is literally sickening, but no laws have been broken, each individual must make the call until the law changes.. Makes me wonder what is really being accomplished when limits are so restrictive but fishing methods produce such terrible mortality. Fattest Pelicans in North America.
[signature]
Well… in your first two statements, there is room for doubt.
[signature]
Thank you for your concern. Are you satisfied with my comments now or would you like me to add a few more?
[signature]
Take, as defined in the Utah fishing regulations is a very cloudy issue. You can only take your limit. But in most cases you can continue to catch as many fish as you want. Provided you don't take more than your limit.
[signature]
It's your dime, and your time. Just thought if someone was gonna complain about somebody else catching and releasing Kokanee Salmon that we ought to be clear about how the limits are observed.
[signature]
I point out a guy who states he's fishing illegally. You are making assumptions and knew what I meant to begin with.
[signature]
As much as I disagree with bassrods on many issues, he DID NOT break any laws by catching Kokanee Salmon at Flaming Gorge. If he harvested them, then he broke the law. NOWHERE in his post did he say he took any of them.

[quote bassrods].We then headed to a place we knew some Cokes hang this time of year..
We use a dropshot on the cokes and between two of us we got over 20 +..
We got off the water by 1:00pm to eat and rest some and was back in the boat by 4:00pm and heading back up lake.. The Lakers would play we got 6 and 2 bass but could not find any snakes that wanted to play..

Saturday we hit Linwood bay again but only got 4 Lakers and 1 snake..About 9:00am we headed over to try for the Cokes again and fished till noon in the snow then the wind came up so we called it a day..
Drop shoting for cokes is a lot of fun we found them in 60' of water but the Cokes was from 20' to 35' deep, and yes it snowed on us off and on all the way home...[/quote]

There is no way that I could make the assumption that you were obeying the law. YOU left much too much room for doubt.

[quote submoa][red]I catch the boats limit[/red], then move species. Last year [red]I[/red] caught the biggest Kokanee [red]I[/red]'ve ever caught after [red]I [/red] had my limit, [red]I[/red] was trying to catch mac's, it was way deep. [red]I[/red] let it go, it swam down, hopefully it lived. [red]I[/red] know the odds aren't good however.[/quote]
[signature]
Wow!. Even if you did "party" fish who gives a crap, if the people your with have a valid license I say fill the cooler. You're allowed to give people your catch as long as you write a note so what's the difference? Party on!
[signature]
[quote Fishrmn]Take, as defined in the Utah fishing regulations is a very cloudy issue. You can only take your limit. But in most cases you can continue to catch as many fish as you want. Provided you don't take more than your limit.[/quote]
It does seem that the term is ambigiuous to some here (probably because the definition is so different from common usage), but the DWR defines it the way it does on purpose. There is no ambiguity there.

When I was involved in a workgroup on regs (not fish), there was a discussion regarding "take" and the unintended consequences the broad definition caused. The DWR (esp the law enforcement division) was unwilling to budge in the least. It was very clear from those discussions that the intent is that when you reduce to possession your limit, you may not pursue the species any longer. Period.

Try arguing the 'cloudiness' of the administrative rule in court if you wish. But if an officer decides to cite you for "take" (pursuit) during a closed season, odds are extremely high you will lose in court. That is precisely why the term is defined - so there is no ambiguity.
[signature]
+1000
[signature]