Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Fish Cat float tube
Hello, new member here, first post. This is my first "v" tube. Is that a correct term for the Fish cat?

So, I find a extreme deal on a used Fish Cat. It is in very good shape. Older model, no fabric fading or stains. In fact, very few rub marks on the pvc bottom!There are two foam seat blocks, measuring width 17 3/4" x 19 3/8" in length. The seat area the foam slides into measures 19" across, measured from where the seat material is stitched to the bladder pocket on each side (stitch seam to stitch seam of the seat box). With the fish cat deflated, and seat foam installed in the 17 3/4" width, the seat foam slides into the seat box with no effort, due to the 1 1/4" gap between seat box dimension and foam width. Even with the boat fully inflated (thumb pressure allows 1/2" of depression at the middle of each pontoon bladder, per the Aire website) neither foam block is wedged in tightly, still sloppy by 3/8" on each side of the seat foam. Will slop from side to side, and will slide out of the seat pocket if the seat back straps were not attached.

When installing the seat foam's19 3/8" width into the seat box. Now the foam must be hammer fist punched into place. Just like shown in the (Aire Youtube) Fish Cat seat foam installation video. But then, the seat foam seam is pointing the wrong direction. I don't understand why the 17 3/4" width fits very tightly when installed in the video.

Yet, mine is so sloppy, unless the dementions of my seat foam are incorrect for a "older" fish cat (2003 model). I confirmed my seat foam was the correct size (with aire). But that is for the current model, and I have no idea if the seat dimensions have changed during the past 11 years. My seat foam is likely not correct for my boat.

What to use to widen the seat foam to fit tightly in the 17 3/4" width?

Also, I have searched all criteria on this site, regarding seat sag or the "taco" effect. I am looking for those that have made mods to the seat foam to eliminate the "taco" of the seat. And to install the foam in the correct orientation, but take up the 1 1/4" of width. As it is, the bladders want to suck in when sitting in the seat, until the 3/4" gap (3/8" each side x 2) is gone. Then the seat taco's to further complicate the inward compression of the pontoon air bladders.

I have not sat in the boat in water, only on land. Does this make a big difference when determining seat "taco". That occurs during fishing?

Does the foam seat and air bladder seat taco the same??
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
First Fish Cat float tube - by MotoBoat - 04-14-2014, 08:21 PM
Re: [MotoBoat] First Fish Cat float tube - by pa - 04-17-2014, 08:36 PM