Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Fish Cat float tube
[quote MotoBoat]tubedude, considering your indepth level of tube tinkering. I was almost certain you had made the oar modification, and that mod was a dedicated chapter in your book! I can't beleive I missed that so badly.....lol!

I had read where others with "v" tubes used kyak paddles in combination with kick fins, for assistance in windy conditions. But, I got to thinking about the co-ordination it might take to kick and paddle at the same time. I was not sure if paddling and kicking was a either or, as apposed to doing in tandem?

I was also attempting to justify the "what if" kyak paddle I recently purchased at my favorite thrift store. Brand new in the bag, 3 piece aluminum handle, breaks down to a 16" length. Cost was an astounding $.075. Retail cost looks like $30.

I had kicked around the oar conversion. But was fishing for advise from the experienced "v" tubers on the site.

I know of several people that have used a Kayak paddle while out in a V tube. It actually works quite well for them. Although they are fly fishers the same would be true for trolling a lure. The stroke motion of the oar provoked strikes. Guess that jerking motion. Worth a try, I say. Stuff the trolling rod down to your side ad row away.

I am not ready for a pontoon boat. For me, the frame is the kicker, to big. Can't just throw it in the back of a car. Perhaps not the back of a truck either. Definitely not packable. Requires waders and kick fins. Might require assembly in addition to inflation before fishing.

Not all pontoon boats require a frame., And several new models are definitely packable. Advantage to the Pontoon is a choice of frame or no frame. You sit higher . You can get by without waders any time. You can keep your feet out of the water on colder days, plus you have the rowing. Small vehicles do require inflating.
You will find you need waders MORE for tubing than anything else.

I have a 8 ft fiber glass dingy I use. When wanting to stay dry, or wanting something just a little more roomy to fish from. I can load and unload without help, fits in the back of the truck. For me, getting in and out of waders and fins is not my preferred method of fishing. As portable as that dingy is with a set of transport wheels, it has its limitations. That is where the "v" tube fills the void. Places that require "carry" in fishing, or poor access at water edge. I can say with certainty, that dingy is most likely as close to a pontoon boat as I will ever come. That is how much I dislike wearing waders. It is the stepping in or out of, being overheated or to cold in,
Breathables and layer accordingly underneath.

leaking and patching, dealing with a bathroom break.......oh lordy! I wear waders, only when a must.

Around here, if salt water beach fishing. The year round water temp is 50 degrees or less. I would rather stand in the water in shorts, than dawn the waders, and boots. Am I cold after several hours? Sure! But not miserable, not uncomfortable. During summer it is refreshing. yet I am the only one without waders on. Wet? Yep, but swim trunks dry off quick or I change into a dry pair for the drive home.[/quote]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
First Fish Cat float tube - by MotoBoat - 04-14-2014, 08:21 PM
Re: [MotoBoat] First Fish Cat float tube - by flygoddess - 04-25-2014, 02:01 AM
Re: [MotoBoat] First Fish Cat float tube - by pa - 04-17-2014, 08:36 PM