Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late Porcupine report 7/18/2014 and product review (Shasta Shuttle Hawk)
My last two trips there, after getting our limits, I trolled for browns with rapalas but no luck, what did you catch your brown on?
[signature]
I get the little yellow clips and go down where i want the shuttle hawk to stop and clip them on. works great use them to stack above above the ball .just keep the klip on your cable and when you bring your ball up snap the clips over the boom
[signature]
[font "Calibri"]That silly brown must have thought he was a salmon. He came on a dodger/spinner rig I was using for the kokes. [/font]
[signature]
[font "Calibri"]Can you give me a little bit more product description on the yellow clips? The ones that came with the hawk won’t fit through the end of my downrigger. Are you using something different other than what came with it?[/font]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]I've been using the SH stackers for about 3 years with no major issues. The yellow stopper buttons are the same as the Scotty stoppers and clip to my 150 lb SS cable off my current Cannon Mag 5s and on my old Cannon MiniMags. My old MiniMags had 150 lb braided line instead of SS wire. They have always gone through the pulley wheel without a hitch.

After having lost 2 SH when the boat was drifting while fighting a fish, I put a binder clip on the replacements that will slide easily over and off the cable slot in the SH. I slide it off the cable slot, but the cable into the slot, then slide the clip back over the slot. Then, it is impossible for the SH to get off the cable when the boat is just drifting. Here is the binder clip I'm talking about.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSlaQ4JsnYHyBJ3acV-bmz...GaS7ef3siN]

You should use size micro or mini. Little weight and will not appreciably effect the action of the SH.

I always troll faster than 1.5 for trout so I've never had any issues with getting up or down. They are a wonderfully tool for those folks that only have hand crank DR because you only have to drop the ball and retrieve it once per day. And you wouldn't need to use the stopper button unless you were stacking.

With an electric DR and a stopper button, you would definitely need to be on your toes and paying attention to bringing the ball up. STOP the DR when the button/SH clears the water and remove the SH from the cable. Otherwise, you will have that button drive that SH into the pulley wheel which could lead to troubles you don't need or want.

My primary use now is when I go with somebody else in their boat and they have hand crank DR. Then I use the SH so I don't have to crank up and down all day long. It's way easier to let the SH do the work.
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
[font "Calibri"]Thanks Bob and thank you to all that have replied to this post. Gives me hope that maybe, just maybe there’s hope for this product. Like I said earlier, in theory they look like a great tool. I have electric downriggers so it wasn’t about the hassle of raising the ball; it was more about keeping my lower line “in the zone” while bringing in a fish hooked on my stacker rod. With all this positive feedback maybe I try them again. That will be determined at a later date.[/font]
[font "Calibri"] [/font]
[font "Calibri"]I’ve got the Cannon Mag 10’s and the stopper wouldn’t go through my pulley, it’s just too tight. I had seen on a different fishing forum that you could just use your line counter reel to set the depth in lieu of the stopper, maybe there’s where I went wrong though I don’t see how. The clam clip you’ve been using is the exact same one that I tried and it was the small one (see attached photo in the 12th post). [/font]
[font "Calibri"] [/font]
[font "Calibri"]Again, thanks all!!![/font]
[signature]
[quote WiperMac][font "Calibri"]I’ve got the Cannon Mag 10’s and the stopper wouldn’t go through my pulley, it’s just too tight.[/quote][/font][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]That's just weird. My Mag 5s use the same, exact pulley assy that your Mag 10s do. I have no problem with the yellow button zipping right through either of my pulleys.[/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."