Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question??
My daughter and I are having a slight argument, and I hope to get enough positive feedback from this board to help with my side.

At what age is too young to take my grandson fishing? He's 11 months old and I say that this is the right time to get him outdoors and a fishing rod in his hands, under close supervision, of course. My daughter says no, he's still too young.

Any opinions?
[signature]

Hey there johnincolorado,

He's not too young to be bundled up and taken and watched like a hawk. They have leashes for this sort of thing. Honest!

I'll bet his attention span won't be that long! Fishing from shore or boat might have a consideration.

Mine were looking at the fishys and waving bye bye to them as I let them go at around 18 months.

JapanRon
[signature]
My thoughts exactly, JapanRon. I raised my two daughters to enjoy the outdoors, not specifially fishing, and it shows. Enjoying fishing is just a side benefit to Mother Nature.
[signature]
[cool][size 1]I would think that at 11 months the youngen would probably drop the rod after 1 or 2 minutes to play with the water, mud or what ever else that might attract his attention. Meaning their attention span is as short as mine watching a woman shop![Tongue][/size] [size 1]But I think that watching you all fish is good at that age.
[/size]
[signature]
hey john, i had cliff in december and at 6 months that spring i had him in a backpack on my back goin everywhere seein doin, the smells the movements the clean fresh air, and it made him a stronger kid. those that are cooped up in the house all the time git sickly. like a dog on a chain. they were meant to be out playin and runnin just as a new human pup , haha and its good fer em to see differnt movement s sounds, the outdoors becomes a amusement park fer em. they can they git sicker in the house than they ever can out. and i say you you git em out early and they,ll stay out. i know i,m glad there were no stinkin computers back then to screw up my sons life as fer as wantin to be in. that,s why we were always out. they learn young and they,ll be that way all their life. ma use to give me -- cause i wouldn,t come in. haha i still say, he was the stronger fer it.[Smile]
[signature]
the earlier the better , i't will become part of there nature then .[cool]

i'de just refrain from teaching him from streaching the truth a bit , untill he's older . you know , "i cought a fish so big it's shadow weighed ten pounds" , lol ![crazy]
[signature]
Get him started while he is very young. I started my kids out around that same age. 1 likes to fish and the other like to eat the fish only.
[signature]
do like i did

tell the mom well ok u go and you will see

within 5 min she had my boy ready to go and pushed US out the door

of course she stayed home and watched oprah
[signature]
I wish I would have been around when Duncan was that young. I bet it'd be much safer to be around him when he has a fishing pole in his hand. He's getting better at the age of 5 but still you better watch out!

He'd probably have learned the patience it takes sometimes to catch a fish if I was able to get him out at a young age.

I say, get him out there now.
[signature]
hey ron, haha that reminds me of the time when cliff and i took my best friend jolene and went up north. we went up to the northeast kingdom where it is my favorite, that,s as fer as you can go before ya git into canada on hte right hand corner of the state up top. of vermont. borderline. anyways it,s beautiful up there and you ARE out! not too much civilization. and jo wasn,t use to that. haha you know. so fer her i fdecided we,d stay in a camp ground. well we got the site, and decided where we,s gonna put the tent, and i says jo" git that rope out the trunk, we can,t be doin this and keepin a good eye on cliff at the same time so we,ll tie him up to the tree over there where he,ll be happy , out the way, and safe. haha jo looked at me, haha well safe than sorry. i says. haha the first thing we did was to git cliffs 3 wheeler out the car and his hole toy box. but cliff was use to it, cause when we,d go i,d have to do it. i didn,t have anyone to keep an eye on him till i got stuff done. alone, hah he went to town on them. toys, also took his play pen, so,s if he got tired he could take a nap in that, which is another good idea to do.. laddie john, my bordercollie-shephard mix was keepin an eye on him too. layin there and watchin him. haha but he was fine. the next door neighbors thought i was abusin cliff till i told em well it,s better,n lettin him git into the fire we,d started and into other stuff he,d git hurt in till we got stuff done. they finally agreed. but he was happy, was use to it anyways, start it young, haha, and had fun. but he was tied and laddie john wasn,t hha i tried like the devil to gitjointo the spirit of things but she wanted to sit home really, and watch oprah too. she didn,t like gittin her hands dirty. haha i got the tinfoil out, put it on the slow burnin fire, sliced up the onions nd peppers in the butter, threw the sausage in the middle of that, closed up the tinfoil enough just to let the steam out and cooked the sausge till done inside, and the peppers onions, then browned up the rolls to golden and mr man them sausages was gooood! and how they tasted so much better cooked over that fire. course the last few minutes ya take em and put em directly on the grill to golden em up a little better and git the hole flavor of the fire. yum! haha jo kinda snubbed her nose at that haha but she et em. and liked em. haha but its too bad like jo, SOME JUST DON,T GIT IT. haha, ya can,t change them, too many bugs, i,m itchin, i,m cold, whatever, but she might understand,at least, and like it, who knows lest ya try, if she can sees, beyond these petty things, take the bug spray, haha why you dogo like this,, if ya do this, and she feels safe with you and her youngin.then, that, it,ll be ok fer you to take him. i bet. ya know? and why you want to spend this quality time with him, showin him all this, but remember, just like jo, itl tkaes all kinds to make a world. maybe, ya ought to be takin your daughter too and doin it, the first time outin, maybe she,ll understand why you want him out there so early. and thats why you go, and she,ll see the beauty in all this, and feel better that somethin isn,t goin to be happenin and you can handle any situation. it might also be a good outin fer all of you. too.mothers are like that. hha too protective, but that,s ok. she needs to feel content with this situation.you do that and you,ve got her hooked, i hope fer ya, so she will feel better about it.[Smile][Wink]that,s what she need to feel.
[signature]
I agree with you, Dryrod. The question was posed with Tongue-in-cheek and I must admit, I am amazed at the answers -- all positive and with sincerity. As I'm sure that 100% of those of us on this board will agree, fishing is better than drugs and/or gangs, unless you count fishing as a drug induced state of mind. If that were the case, then we're all guilty of being on drugs. And PETA can take a flying leap at a rolling donut (my edited choice of words).

As I normally have my days free, unless I'm off scouting for new fishing holes, I have entertained the thought of having my grandson for the day, packing his stroller and war bag, and taking him for a tour of the local lake, complete with geese and ducks. He's crawling on his hands and knees, most of the time, so two eagle eyes, three if I had them, are needed to keep him out of trouble. Just like my daughter accuses me of getting into trouble (at my age, that's a compliment) and she having to try and keep me out of it. Where's the fun in playing it safe? I see this as my revenge on her for all the times she kept me awake at night worrying. Bless her.

That gives me thoughts for another opinion piece. The creative juices are really flowing this morning.
[signature]
[cool][size 1]Hey there JIC,[/size]

[size 1]Here in So.Cal. we have places to fish that are ideal for the little ones. Perhaps in your neck of the woods you might have similar sites.[/size]

[url "http://www.irvinelake.net/catcho.htm"][#800080][size 1]The Fish'n Hole[/size][/#800080][/url][size 1] The Fish'n Hole RE-OPENING with CATFISH SEASON!! A Great place to introduce a child to fishing: we supply the rod, reel, bait and an instructor. Please call 714) 649-9111 to confirm availability.
[/size][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=2328;]
[url "http://www.irvinelake.net/images/MVC-006S.JPG"][/url]
[size 1][#ff0000]5 Acre Kid's Lagoon Now Open[/#ff0000]
[/size]
[signature]
I've heard of several here, DryRod. Designed especially for the younger sports fan. As my grandson won't be one until 2-22, and can't hold a rod yet, I don't think they'll let me in.

My main objective is to introduce him to the great outdoors at his very young, tender age. He prefers being outside as it is (thanks to grand dad). There is hope for the next generation afterall.
[signature]
Looks like a good spot to me, DryRod. If I were a catfish, I'd sure want to call it home.
[signature]
wanna tell me what this means?????[Tongue]
[signature]
so did ya take him or not john?? or them or what?? haha later tell us![Smile]
[signature]
It's been too cold to take him (his name is Riley) outside these past weeks, Patches. But reast assured, I WILL begetting him outside.
[signature]
[cool][cool][Smile][Wink]yessa, sooner the better! it has been here too. terrible cold with no snow, dustin enough yesterday, bout 3 inches. not like lonehunter whos got like 30 inches and hates shovelin! haha poor dude.aolmost feels like somethins comin in. that wind is blowin like crazy today. well take care, have fun. later [Smile]
[signature]
[Tongue]they are ever too young, just make sure the hole you drill is too small to swallow the little ones... [blush]
[signature]
thats a pretty place, long as the cat fish dont scare em fisrst time they see a cat fish. haha put some trout i there. haha later what states that in> pretty area. later[Smile]
[signature]