Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
8 wt setup
Thanks Flygoddess. I have been thinking about breaking into the carp game. I assume you are using carp flies? Do you just use a slow retrieve? Thanks.
[signature]
In the faster water (Which by fast I mean slowly moving) I like the Indy with first fly maybe 5' down and a dropper 2 feet down from that.
On pool with very little movement I like the dry dropper, with dropper 3' to 5' below dry.
[signature]
Thanks Flygoddess. Are you sight fishing or blind casting? Walked along the Jordan yesterday and found some areas it is worth a shot. Didn't see any fish though.
[signature]
Definitely more fun if you can see them. Kind of like hunting. But, I rarely see them. Just blind or cast to bubbles or swirls.
[signature]
My 8 weight setup for swinging big streamers or steelhead flies.

Rod - Redington Dually Spey 13'6 8 wt

Reel - Redingtom Behemoth 9/10

Running Line - Rio Grip Shooter - 35 lb

Shooting Line - Rio Skagit Max Short 500 Gr

Tip - Rio MOW 7.5 F /2.5 S or a full 10 sink or full float

The advantages of the system is casting distance, everything is a loop to loop connection, wind does not matter, brush behind you does not matter, and no muscle fatigue at the end of the day.

DiSadvantage can't overhead cast, can't mend (which the skagit tip), it is a little bit for the rambunctious 8" trout that decides eating a 4" streamer is a good idea.

It is a fun way to fish, but takes practice to learn. You cannot just pick it up like overhead casting.

I also have a 7 wt switch rod at 11'6 with a 7/8 reel with a switch line that I can mend and spey cast, but I do not get the distance with the switch setup.

Two handed fishing is something to look into, especially if you are going after steelhead.
[signature]